• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uninspiring clothes?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?

Maybe you are being conditioned, or maybe you are not shopping in the right places. I find that some boutiques have consistently interesting things. Alan Bilzerian, for example, carries some amazing stuff, imo. The Krone's + Kin jacket I got there just a week or so ago is pretty cool, for example. As well as the inserts I mentioned elsewhere, the shoulder and neckline construction is pretty amazing. And I just got a sample from the upcoming Engineered Garments line - a henley with inside chest pockets. On just a packet pocket, one a buttoned pocket so that the button shows on the outside. Super long cuffs. Of course, it helps that it is dyed an incredibly deep chestnut/chocolate color by Jay Allen - a one of a kind piece. Okay, so you can't actually buy that, but there are plenty on interesting pieces out there if you are willing to look.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.

First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

Hopefully I can pick up some nice pieces this weekend. I haven't been to traffic in a couple of months so I'll give that another shot along with the others. I know the options are there, just wanted to see if I was the only one and I guess I was
tongue.gif

funk_soul_brother

Reaction score
i am endlessly faced with that same "gahhhh." sort of uninspired feeling when i go into a store or boutique and all i see are endless rows of graphic tees. i really don't like that style very much. also, i'm in South Korea right now where virtually every young person dresses in an identical, flashy fashion. there is literally only one Korean clothing company in which i can find some things which i like. it's called Codes Combine and even still, many of their items aren't my style or are too deconstructed for my liking.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
yeah fashion in s. korea is pretty boring. i didn't buy a thing when i was there for a month... well, A LOT of food.

TalkBack42Clicks

Reaction score
Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TalkBack42Clicks
I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

TalkBack42Clicks

Reaction score
Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

Right up my street. But do you/would you dress like them???... That is the question. Slash is certainly one of my all time style icons.

vh1-slash27.jpg

vh1-slash29.jpg

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rockstar look does not look good unless you actually are one. Even in that case, it still doesn't but you will be surrounded by too many groupies to care.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TalkBack42Clicks

I mean all the clothes that I've been seeing are plain, boring, characterless, lacking any flava etc. I'm sure it's because I haven't seen all there is to see so I'm hitting all the stores tomorrow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics