Uninspiring clothes?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Jul 26, 2006.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

It looks as if most of you are not having any problems finding things you like but for me it seems as though it is becoming increasingly more difficult. I find myself considering clothes I don't like because I'm being conditioned to seeing so much mediocrity that isn't what I'm looking for. Am I alone?

Maybe you are being conditioned, or maybe you are not shopping in the right places. I find that some boutiques have consistently interesting things. Alan Bilzerian, for example, carries some amazing stuff, imo. The Krone's + Kin jacket I got there just a week or so ago is pretty cool, for example. As well as the inserts I mentioned elsewhere, the shoulder and neckline construction is pretty amazing. And I just got a sample from the upcoming Engineered Garments line - a henley with inside chest pockets. On just a packet pocket, one a buttoned pocket so that the button shows on the outside. Super long cuffs. Of course, it helps that it is dyed an incredibly deep chestnut/chocolate color by Jay Allen - a one of a kind piece. Okay, so you can't actually buy that, but there are plenty on interesting pieces out there if you are willing to look.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.

4. LA Guy

I've yet to check out all the little shops and such in LA because I'm very doubtful I'll find anything. I need to make a list of all the stores and make time but this heat is just so consuming. Went to check out rb1s at barneys and they had none. I'll have to make my way to robertson and melrose etc.

First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

First of all, you are unlikely to find really inspired clothing at Barneys. You'll get plenty of wearable clothes, and some cool pieces, but if you are looking to be inspired, go elsewhere? What are you looking for? If you want casual designer, go to Ron Herman. Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

Hopefully I can pick up some nice pieces this weekend. I haven't been to traffic in a couple of months so I'll give that another shot along with the others. I know the options are there, just wanted to see if I was the only one and I guess I was [​IMG]

6. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

maxfields was closed when i tried to go there [​IMG] sighhh

7. funk_soul_brother

funk_soul_brother Senior member

i am endlessly faced with that same "gahhhh." sort of uninspired feeling when i go into a store or boutique and all i see are endless rows of graphic tees. i really don't like that style very much. also, i'm in South Korea right now where virtually every young person dresses in an identical, flashy fashion. there is literally only one Korean clothing company in which i can find some things which i like. it's called Codes Combine and even still, many of their items aren't my style or are too deconstructed for my liking.

8. xcoldricex

xcoldricex Senior member

yeah fashion in s. korea is pretty boring. i didn't buy a thing when i was there for a month... well, A LOT of food.

9. TalkBack42Clicks

TalkBack42Clicks Well-Known Member

Rock star? Maxfield. Maxfield Bleu is you want Rockstar+bizarre leftovers (some of which can be very cool). Traffic in the Beverly Center is always good too for the same type of thing, and their collections are more tightly edited. There are *lots* of good stores in LA.

I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

10. LA Guy

I think mine & yours definition of Rockstar are probably completely differnent. I know alot of students at my Uni who are Mods who believe there "Rockstar" but aren't.

Also, what does Jet consider to be uninspiring clothes?, What is the alternative?...

Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Just as examples, I consider Dave Navarro and the entire Velvet Revolver crew as rockstar.

You like it the Guns & Roses survivors?

12. TalkBack42Clicks

TalkBack42Clicks Well-Known Member

Right up my street. But do you/would you dress like them???... That is the question. Slash is certainly one of my all time style icons.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. afaludi

afaludi Senior member

14. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The rockstar look does not look good unless you actually are one. Even in that case, it still doesn't but you will be surrounded by too many groupies to care.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

I mean all the clothes that I've been seeing are plain, boring, characterless, lacking any flava etc. I'm sure it's because I haven't seen all there is to see so I'm hitting all the stores tomorrow.