1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Unimpressed with Canali on Bob Costas

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lbcgav, Aug 20, 2008.

1. SuitingStyle

SuitingStyle Distinguished Member

I think those were traditional Khazakstanain shoes made of Yak suede.

at least he looks comfortable in those, and I have to give him credit to try to mix and match his sc and pants, and the fit is much better than Costas. I am kinda disappointed they are all dressing down for the event. ML and Roker never wore suits in any of the days I've watched them in the morning since the start.

2. audiophilia

audiophilia Distinguished Member

Worse are the shoes. And in HD! WTF! A disgrace.

Lampley's looks disgusting.

3. embowafa

embowafa Distinguished Member

Jim Lampley's suits have looked a lot better than Bob Costas' in just about every way.

...and then they show the shoes. [​IMG] Good lord...it looks like Herman Munster is the shoe stylist for NBC sports.

[​IMG]

4. brlfvr

brlfvr Senior Member

Not to sound sexist, but the stylist was probably a woman. I really am gonna sound 40 years older than I am, but I'm getting a little tired of female associates and personal stylist who have NO CLUE about what they are talking about. I had a seminar on professional dress that my job put on and the presenter had NO CLUE what she was talking about. Sorry for the rant here gents.

I think there is some truth to that. I've worked in that field a bit and there is an assumption that because women can dress women that they can dress men. I've seen women who do amazing things when putting together a womens look and then really sub par looks with men. Also the women doing image consulting are really boring and cliche. It may be another thread but I have been curious as to if men instinctually want a womens approval for clothes. What I mean is that even if there is a well dressed salesman helping them they would take their wife's or gf opinion over that of a well put together man.

5. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Costas' shoes were retarded, yes, but Lampley looks like his suits are made of cardboard.

6. robasaurus

robasaurus Senior Member

We've been using a display advertising Canali dressing the Olympic broadcast team in my store since the start of the Olympics. I was fairly excited by the idea when I found out, but now having seen what those guys are wearing, I want to take the display down. The whole situation is embarrassing.

I think there is some truth to that. I've worked in that field a bit and there is an assumption that because women can dress women that they can dress men. I've seen women who do amazing things when putting together a womens look and then really sub par looks with men. Also the women doing image consulting are really boring and cliche. It may be another thread but I have been curious as to if men instinctually want a womens approval for clothes. What I mean is that even if there is a well dressed salesman helping them they would take their wife's or gf opinion over that of a well put together man.

The best part is that the wife or girlfriend is nearly always wrong, on top of being poorly dressed herself.

7. mmhollis

mmhollis Senior Member

To be fair the age of the salesman--at least as my grandfather would tell it--has declined. On more than a few occasion I have found men to be clueless as well. In fact, last week while I was in Macy's this salesman was telling a younger guy my age to go with a lime green shirt and a lime green tie. IT WAS TACKY, I told the guy too. Nonetheless, I think your comment on well dressed women automatically think they can dress men well, or rely on their gender to convince a man that women will like their selection. Personally I value input from both my gf and the 'well dressed salesman' but I want to know what went behind their thought process. All too often when I hear it from a saleswoman I hear the words "this season" I rarely hear that from a salesman. But let me be clear I think that the age of the knowledgeable salesperson is dead regardless of gender.

8. null

null Member

I blame American society's current fashion tastes to be the reason why Costas looks pretty bad. After all, the Olympics are really just a way for companies to sell products to the mass public. And the mass public doesn't really understand the beauty of a well-fitting suit.

Every day I wonder how society's view of style has deviated so much within the past few decades.

9. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I recall that the clothes Bob Costas wore in previous Olympic broadcasts looked better, fit better and were better styled. I think his Joe Abboud clothing was perhaps the best for it's day. What he has been wearing for the Bejing Olympics seems to be a mixed-mess. The color combos are especially poor.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Distinguished Member

I think there is some truth to that. I've worked in that field a bit and there is an assumption that because women can dress women that they can dress men. I've seen women who do amazing things when putting together a womens look and then really sub par looks with men. Also the women doing image consulting are really boring and cliche..

There's much truth in that. It's not just that very likely female consultants have never worn men's outfits, have not received any training from men, and rarely work with men who insist on more than mediocrity. It seems that they regard menswear as purely functional, such as "Man + decent suit = promotion."

You've worked in the field? The PM box is open for you.

That would make a good thread.

So where are the pictures of Mr. Costas in Canali?

11. antirabbit

antirabbit Distinguished Member

The footwear on Bela the other night when they interviewed Shawn Johnson was hilarious, a dark pinstripe suit, with tan socks and tan yodeling shoes!
    Bob is an abomination in his magnum size suit when he should be wearing a lifestyle sized suit (condom humor), along with his rubber soled slip ons looking like they were designed by Alexander the Innovation Wizard.

12. sonlegoman

sonlegoman Distinguished Member

I think he orders his suits based on ego size, not actual size, hence the large fit on him. His shoes are equally atrocious and there were about two inches of space between his heel and the shoes last night. He looked like a kid playing dress up gangster with his dad's clothes.

Bob Costas is borderline midget.

13. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

He does look bad, and the caked on make-up is also over the top in HD.

- B

14. Reborn

Reborn Senior Member

Last night when reporting about the underage gymnasts his whole shirt was cooked with one collar under the lapel, his tie knot somewhere around the collarbone and his other collar under his throat.

15. Tarmac

Tarmac Distinguished Member

This is basically the world's "first HD olympics". Lots of interesting, bizarre, and perverted reactions dealing with bikinis, underage girls, face wrinkles, how to secure your penis down in your leotards, etc.