• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unhappy Bespoke Experience Review

YudanGu

Reaction score
I wrote this short review to share my very bad and disappointing experience about Rochefort Tailor Sydney. First of all, I want to apologize for my terrible English. I will try to use short and simple sentence with the pictures to make things clear.
tumblr_inline_oex13wJdzl1teqwv8_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_oex13wRzpc1teqwv8_540.jpg

This was the side look of my latest bespoke jacket made by Rochefort Tailor Sydney. We can see the sleeves twist to a strange angle. When I wear it, there is an ugly wrinkle on front of both sleeves.
tumblr_inline_oex13yT81J1teqwv8_540.jpg

That wrinkle was there since the forward fitting. I have send few emails to ask to fix the problem, but they did nothing and keep telling me that is normal. So I have to looking for other tailor’s help.
tumblr_inline_oeybswp2NK1teqwv8_540.jpg

That is the side look after initial adjustment by the other tailor. It is much better. In the meantime, we find out why Rochefort Tailor don’t want to do a small change to make the sleeves right. Because they make some mistake to mismatch the pattern between body and sleeves. Then they just twist the sleeves to make it look like match and leave the ugly wrinkle there!
The another annoying thing is the back.

tumblr_inline_of05f73UBb1teqwv8_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_of05eajYq71teqwv8_540.jpg

That is the picture of 1st baste fitting, the fitter didn’t do much about the back. Then I ask for 1 more time of baste fitting
tumblr_inline_of05jzcWzE1teqwv8_540.jpg

In the 2nd baste fitting, the fitter told me it is the best back they can do for my body type and the fabric I picked.
tumblr_inline_of0766Q7or1teqwv8_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_of076oADMG1teqwv8_540.jpg

He suggest me go to next step. But in the forward fitting, things changed.
tumblr_inline_of07elbMJO1teqwv8_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_of07f70oZQ1teqwv8_540.jpg

In that time, the owner & cutter(according himself said) back from holiday, he said there were too many fabric on the back. Then he decide to tighten up the back from middle line. I feel it is not a good choice. I wrote an email to him ask to adjust the back from side, but there are not any answer.
tumblr_inline_of07gvQODD1teqwv8_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_of07hqqplh1teqwv8_540.jpg

Now you can see the bottom of the back piece is not flat. The pattern of the back are not full too.
The sleeves and back problem are some kind of capacity issues, but the construction issue really about attitude. I told the shop owner very clear I want a full bespoke jacket with full canvas when we deal the offer. But I see a fused jacket after 2 weeks when I went to 1st fitting.
tumblr_inline_of205vHaIF1teqwv8_540.jpg

The sales man said it’s a mistake make by their workshop. He promised the problem would be fix next fitting. In the next fitting, the jacket show canvased. But when this time I ask another tailor toalteration the sleeves, we saw the in side of the jacket like that:
tumblr_inline_of20h0X4991teqwv8_540.jpg

They just put the canvas above the fuse to “fix” the mistake! It means I pay the full canvas money to get a fuse base jacket!
All of these are the main problem about this jacket, there are some other smaller issues as the pictures shows.
tumblr_inline_of20x7qfFe1teqwv8_540.jpg

Different double lapel flower hole
tumblr_inline_of2107pd1H1teqwv8_540.jpg

Black suture use on pink fabric
How unprofessional job that is! I think that is really unreliable tailor. I will put Rochefort Tailor on the top of my black list.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those people should be ashamed of themselves for delivering a final product like that one. There response is even more shameful.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its rare to see a basted model for MTM, usually its for bespoke

I would bet that it's a "show try on", MTM companies have started doing this, there is probably no inlays in there like a real try on, although it may not look it, that jacket is essentially finished.
I asked about price because I would not be surprised these days if this was $300, at which point I would say that the customer had no business buying it and the vendor no business selling it, looking at the price tag I think its quite outrageous, until recently I was doing "real bespoke" sport coats at $2500, this is what a "real try on" looks like.

Notice the sleeves are just for the fitting so I can adjust them to sit flush and also match the plaid properly. You'll see a lot more hand stitching there as well because it is not fused. Taking in the center back on that fitting is absolutely not the correct procedure, Im not even going to say IMHO on that, its just plain wrong.

I would just ask for a refund here.

Last edited:
G

Griffindork

^ yeah, that's why i was asking. That doesn't look like much of a baste fitting, although it's hard to tell what exactly is going on. Hopefully you used a credit card. I wouldn't accept the order.

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you asked for a refund? Usually a business would much rather refund than have a card charged back.

YudanGu

Reaction score

After alteration...... anyway,it is able to wear now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads