• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate that someone else is as hesitant as I when it comes to the pants. Restraint is valor I think the saying goes?

Do corduroy instead....

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm continuing my research into formal wear before I pull the trigger on anything, and I've been thinking a lot about navy velvet.

The question is, what to do there ...

- Notch lapel single breasted?
- Peak lapel single breasted two button? One button?
- Shawl lapel double breated?

Hmmm.

My tailor insists I should get something in velvet that I can also wear as a suit (i.e. navy velvet pants). I could pull it off in NYC but not sure I want to lol.
SBPL 1B ftw. I wear that config as SCs all the time

Winot

Reaction score
I appreciate that someone else is as hesitant as I when it comes to the pants. Restraint is valor I think the saying goes?

How about a velvet stripe down the outside edge to echo the stripe on tux trousers?

paborden

Reaction score
That corduroy is something else. I am definitely not cool enough to wear a cord tux.

I don't want to be so quick to dismiss velvet though. I've seen some interesting stuff, like this

11314hat3938web1.jpg

Or if we look to women for inspiration, there are some interesting things floating around that make me think velvet is almost pull off able

5fd1b4f455ba712db304a2af9e62dbd7.jpg

b01fbb1a87a8451d363b84f508bcdd3b.jpg

Then again, I would probably tire of this in all of two seconds, not to mention the lint issues. And navy cord might just be better. It is after all just ribbed velvet.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear a full velvet dinner suit, please get a light blue (or pink, but a really pale, almost white pink), ruffled formal shirt. Not big clownish ruffles, but small modern ones. I am serious about this. I think a full velvet tux is a terrible idea, but if you're gonna do it, go big and make a statement.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @paborden,

I find experimentation in the bespoke area, as a very expensive habit!

There is a reason why there is no such a thing as a velvet dinner suit in a man's wardrobe; trousers will be worn out very quickly and the whole thing will eventually lead to a...velvet dinner jacket.

Everything comes down to taste, but since you are seeking opinions on the matter, I would suggest a SBPL as @The Chai suggested above (one button to be considered), but with really wide peak lapels; no compromise on this!

BTW, I would contemplate only black, midnight blue, or navy.

Cheers,

Dimitris

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
You have peak lapels on your sportcoats?

@paborden

I'd go for shawl collar, single button with corded edge and frog closure in caramel/dark red/purple/blue.

Master Thespian approved.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Or if we look to women for inspiration, there are some interesting things floating around that make me think velvet is almost pull off able

5fd1b4f455ba712db304a2af9e62dbd7.jpg
She wants to pull that off, she can be my guest. It would look great on my kitchen floor. For guys, though, the old saw is that you’ll be lucky to pick up anything other than lint.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gearing up for my next commission, and want to get some input here from people who may have first hand experience with some of these fabrics

- any thoughts on Drapers Ascot (4-ply open weave, 370g) vs. Lovat Bard (3-ply open weave 390g) for a standard, 3 season-ish, 2 piece suit?

- would LP Pecora Nera (290g) be a good choice for a S/S Neapolitan-esque sport coat (particularly this swatch)? I am looking for a grey-ish patterned sport coat to serve as a S/S version to my J. Press. F/W herringbone tweed

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gearing up for my next commission, and want to get some input here from people who may have first hand experience with some of these fabrics

- any thoughts on Drapers Ascot (4-ply open weave, 370g) vs. Lovat Bard (3-ply open weave 390g) for a standard, 3 season-ish, 2 piece suit?

- would LP Pecora Nera (290g) be a good choice for a S/S Neapolitan-esque sport coat (particularly this swatch)? I am looking for a grey-ish patterned sport coat to serve as a S/S version to my J. Press. F/W herringbone tweed

The Pecora Nera collection are all brown tones, and arent particularly well suited to spring/ summer...

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Pecora Nera collection are all brown tones, and arent particularly well suited to spring/ summer...

gotcha, yea I honestly dont mind it having a bit of brown tint...but i'm primarily looking for something grey-ish kind of like this picture, that i can wear with navy/brown/dark grey/british khaki trousers

Attachments

• grey jacket inspo 2 (1).jpg
    grey jacket inspo 2 (1).jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 83

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @classicalthunde,

I totally agree with our fellow @bdavro23 above.

It's been covered before: Loro Piana introduced the "Pecora Nera" line in fall 2018 to complement its FW collection. Hence, there aren't particularly suited for your stated purpose, except for some fabrics at 250grams which might be candidates for early spring & early fall conditions; still, you have to forget their summer use!

The color combinations that you have in mind are nice, you need however to begin by finding the appropriate bunch, and then to continue with your SC fabric choice.

Best,

Dimitris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads