• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also depends on the pattern. take 4m to be safe.

Yeah, I have never asked B&Tailor what the floor would be, but I have gone with 2.5 for a coat and 4 for a suit. With 5 in a solid, I am having a second pair of pants and a vest done. I do CMT with them so my subsequent meetings are just fittings.

I am 6ft and 175

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @patliean1,

As a comparison, I am 1.785m, 71-72kg and I need 3m for a solid SB suit; no patterns, nap, or patch pockets accounted.

I agree that the safe length for what you described would be 4m, but the optimum one would be 3.5m; in cases where cloth is über expensive, half a meter is a considerable cost!

Mind you, your tailors may have their own specs, requirements, so yes, checking with them first would be the most wise choice!

Best,

Dimitris

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the safe length for what you described would be 4m, but the optimum one would be 3.5m; in cases where cloth is über expensive, half a meter is a considerable cost!

Thanks for your reply. I've been quoted for some Fox Brothers fabric, and man that stuff is quite pricey! Worth it I'm sure...

zr3rs

Reaction score
I've been quoted for some Fox Brothers fabric, and man that stuff is quite pricey! Worth it I'm sure...
The official prices are set so that they do not undercut resellers or tailors that want to markup the fabric.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether it's negligence or laziness I have seen some tailors leave the responsibility of sourcing CMT fabrics solely on the client. This isn't to say my current tailor follows this philosophy, but having the transparency of fabric costs might be helpful to some clients.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pattern aside...is 3.5 meters the "typical" amount of cloth for a two piece suit? I plan to also ask my tailor directly but I'm looking to source my own CMT fabric.

I'm 6 feet (182 cm) in height, and I weigh 180 lbs (81 kg). Thanks
I usually get 4.5m.

Of course, I'm a bit larger than you, and that includes high-waisted trousers with cuffs, and DB jacket, as necessary. But always better not to run out in case of some mishap.

RogerC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few circumstances in which it makes sense to go CMT: vintage/dead stock fabrics, killer deals, seasonal cloth you can’t make up straight away or special commissions like Dieworkwear’s summer tweed. In all other cases, just go through your tailor. It might be slightly more expensive but you’ll save the hassle and are protected if anything goes wrong. On topic: I’m 6’3 and at my biggest had a 47 inch chest. Even for patterned fabrics and patch pockets, I never needed more than 3,5m (although you always want to make sure you’re not confusing metres and yards).

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have said it before, but I am 6ft 3in and have never needed more than 3m for a suit and 2m for a jacket.

I will acknowledge a preference for deadstock fabric, but also find that by buying bolts I can get a better sense of what a garment would look / feel like, which has avoided a few costly mistakes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The official prices are set so that they do not undercut resellers or tailors that want to markup the fabric.

That's true, although Fox Brothers cloth is also very expensive. At least when I inquired about organizing a custom run. They do try to maintain a global price so that you're not undercutting them or their partners. But the wholesale price is such that you can't sell it for much less than the global price anyway without losing money.

ACluelessGent

Reaction score
Pattern aside...is 3.5 meters the "typical" amount of cloth for a two piece suit? I plan to also ask my tailor directly but I'm looking to source my own CMT fabric.

I need 3m. I am 180 cm and 70Kg.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the suit Daniel Craig is wearing in that picture costs $3700 USD... facepalm*

mactire

Reaction score

Ask your tailor and then add on some more. Over time you'll find out some are better or more economical cutters than others. I've had a 2-piece suit made from 3.5m and 3.9m. And some can get one from 3m.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads