• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% wool and 10% cashmere
Not saying it should necessarily be at the top of your "to fund" pile, but going full suit is no brainer for me. Just from the screen grab, I actually think I'd enjoy that fabric (looks alone, not speaking to durability, etc.) more as trousers than a jacket, if I had to choose one.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @HuggyBear,

Since you requested our thoughts, you may have mine.

StyleForum is one of the few "places" that I have seen gentlemen contemplating the use of jacketing cloth as suit cloth by making trousers as well out of it. There is a difference in the weaving of the two fabrics, because, well, the purpose is a different one! It's not that I don't already know that the above-mentioned difference is neglected by merchants, tailors, and clients (everyone for a separate reason...), yet it still exists! More so, it will be there in the whole lifespan of the trousers! This is one of the reasons why certain fellow members here have encountered several problems with their trousers.

Of course, if you wish to proceed you may do so, but I urge you to reconsider; this very nice wool-cashmere cloth of 550grams (this is an overcoating cloth for my climate) was destined to become a formidable SC, not a suit!

At any rate, I am wishing you every success to this sartorial endeavor.

Best,

Dimitris

HuggyBear

Reaction score
Dear @HuggyBear,

Since you requested our thoughts, you may have mine.

StyleForum is one of the few "places" that I have seen gentlemen contemplating the use of jacketing cloth as suit cloth by making trousers as well out of it. There is a difference in the weaving of the two fabrics, because, well, the purpose is a different one! It's not that I don't already know that the above-mentioned difference is neglected by merchants, tailors, and clients (everyone for a separate reason...), yet it still exists! More so, it will be there in the whole lifespan of the trousers! This is one of the reasons why certain fellow members here have encountered several problems with their trousers.

Of course, if you wish to proceed you may do so, but I urge you to reconsider; this very nice wool-cashmere cloth of 550grams (this is an overcoating cloth for my climate) was destined to become a formidable SC, not a suit!

At any rate, I am wishing you every success to this sartorial endeavor.

Best,

Dimitris

Thanks for that Dimitris. Much appreciated

WhereNext

Reaction score
I've got a couples of suits in Drapers 4-ply. Like it a lot. Is there anything similar from other mills/merchants?

Any chance you've done a write up/review of this somewhere? I'm looking at the VBC versions (which I understand to be basically the same). Thanks!

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@kolecho, any plans of reweaving an old Minnis? The last batch of mid grey flannel is delicious and more versatile at 400g than their current mid grey at 475g.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for a cotton/linen blend for an odd jacket? Preferably on the more linen side but I'd prioritize not having to get it pressed after each wearing over that

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funded:

DL-

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That tweed looks awesome.

Thank you. I am excited about this one. I have always wanted a Gun Club and as far as GC's go, this one is a pretty good one. The gray is a brighter and bluer gray than the standard Johnson's mix. Also went with a bit more length on the coat, as it will definitely be a late fall through winter coat. Hangs off the neck well.

DL-

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a length of that at Anderson & Sheppard-- and a cap made by Lock already in residence!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads