• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm late to the discussion about synthetics, but I didn't see the factor of uncertainty mentioned. I have some clothes in synthetic/natural blends that I love and that have worn well over many years, and others where the cloth either pilled excessively, or became shiny after ironing. I've found this to be true with synthetic blends even from reputable companies (my Ariston cotton/poly blend pants kind of shed weird, fuzzy layers on a regular basis). I think natural fiber cloths behave more reliably, and that's something that plays into my decision when considering cloth. That said, most of my corduroy stuff has poly in the mix and it's all great, so who knows.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you've ever needed a tan/fawn suit, it has its place. Shoulder season, on occasions when a little luminescence wouldn't kill anyone. "Thinking man's gabardine."

At the moment, I'm more inclined to do a genuine summer suit (up to 10oz, maybe the LL Piuma) or-- if plain colored-- a cavalry twill or whipcord for winter. Plenty of time to decide, as this is far down the "need" list.
To me Solaro has the same place during shoulder season that a tweed suit has in winter. I really don’t wear them in the middle of summer. That is fresco and linen season for me.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

HuggyBear

Reaction score
I’m wondering if it would be silly to make this wool/cashmere into a suit instead of just a jacket given it is 550g/19.5oz
Any thoughts?
9D519F09-398C-4735-949C-FC2DC286D082.jpeg

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that color you could split it up nicely and wear with other stuff. Why not?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much cashmere? I have woolen flannels with about 15% that hold up fine to moderate wear. The weave of that fabric would, at least to me, make for a handsome suit, that would likely be (relatively) durable, particularly at that weight.

HuggyBear

Reaction score
On the other hand after 10 blue and grey suits, I’m making my first foray into other colours and will be funding these two as full suits.
The brown POW with blue over check is 100% wool @12oz from Holland & Sherry

The beige twill is 100% wool @
97C8E2A6-1D8B-40D1-A468-BB0B1197EEF5.jpeg
5FFF2710-F613-4A83-8DA6-5D4F3F472B71.jpeg
14oz from Huddersfield

HuggyBear

Reaction score
In that color you could split it up nicely and wear with other stuff. Why not?

Good idea. If 10% cashmere with wool at nearly 20oz wouldn’t be too hot for trousers in the UK. Will think about this more. Cheers

HuggyBear

Reaction score
How much cashmere? I have woolen flannels with about 15% that hold up fine to moderate wear. The weave of that fabric would, at least to me, make for a handsome suit, that would likely be (relatively) durable, particularly at that weight.

90% wool and 10% cashmere

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics