• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lngn2

Reaction score
Interesting! I’d think that a Bemberg-lined waistband would be too slick and the trousers would slide down. But I guess that’s what braces are for! :)
Not an issue I've had! Trouser p0rn of a pair I've recently made in 9oz white linen w. bemberg lining & waistband. Biggest thing that makes a difference to whether trousers slide down or not is getting enough shape in the waistband. Following on from some help from a friend on the Row I've started making them with split waistband reinforcement and collar canvas - the resulting waistband is therefore slightly smaller at the top than the bottom and really hugs the body.

<blockquote class="instagram-media" data-instgrm-captioned data-instgrm-permalink="https://www.instagram.com/p/B0vVJjJptDX/" data-instgrm-version="12" style=" background:#FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">

View this post on Instagram

Sunday sewing - lots of hand sewing on the curtain and lining of these white linen trousers I&#39;ve made myself from @dugdalebrosandco 9oz linen. #menswear #whitetrousers #style #fashion #sewing #tailoring #linen

A post shared by Lionel Nierop (@lionelnierop) on Aug 4, 2019 at 3:57am PDT

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bathroom pics! Mine has rubber and cotton Silesia

Attachments

• 1CD52AD1-0966-44FD-A84A-AFC00687B9F6.jpeg
    1CD52AD1-0966-44FD-A84A-AFC00687B9F6.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 65

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that is readymade waistband curtain. Buy it in rolls and sewn in by machine.
Silesia is lighter weight cotton used in jackets for pocketing. Not appropriate for trousers. Cotton pocketing for trousers is closer to cotton drill. More dense and stronger fabric as trouser pockets take more wear and tear than pockets in jackets. Getting harder to find 100% cotton pocketing for trousers. That's the good stuff. Poly cotton blends are more common but not as good IMO. You can use almost anything for trouser curtain as long as it doesn't shrink, bleed color and lasts as long as the trouser cloth does. Have seen lining used and shirting fabrics too. Usually it's sleeve lining not lining used to line the body of a jacket

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sleeve lining is softer and lighter than most jacket linings. I use Bemberg Asahi for sleeves and use the same to line trousers. It doesn't shrink at all and is durable. Think I read that it's made from wood pulp.
Looked it up, found this. "Bemberg is a regenerated fiber made from cotton linter"

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting morning. So far I've had to Google silesia and ermazine.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting morning. So far I've had to Google silesia and ermazine.
Same here. Now I know Silesia is a region in Poland bordering the Czech Republic.
Smitty, Google Bemberg Asahi for product info

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same here. Now I know Silesia is a region in Poland bordering the Czech Republic.
Smitty, Google Bemberg Asahi for product info
Yeah, us History majors could find Silesia on a map but never knew it was a fabric as well!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, us History majors could find Silesia on a map but never knew it was a fabric as well!

All 4 of us lol.

Indeed Silesia is one of the more famous provinces that even HS students learn about in AP Euro, but I had no idea it was a fabric!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this tweed? On a bespoke sportcoat from about a decade ago - thick, soft hand; if it's still available I'd like to buy some:

Well it took me five years, but I finally have my hand on a jacket length of this tweed from Hunters of Brora. It’s gonna be a horseblanket winter!

00772985-8B7E-4AEB-B907-17EFD11FD876.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads