• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
I've had this idea to get a military style overcoat done, a la this David Taub blogpost.

I want to do it in a grey herringbone, navy herringbone, or navy moleskin. However, is it possible to get a herringbone moleskin? Probably a stupid question, I think moleskin refers to material and finish but I don't know if that precludes making it a herringbone pattern as well.

Winot

Reaction score
I've had this idea to get a military style overcoat done, a la this David Taub blogpost.

I want to do it in a grey herringbone, navy herringbone, or navy moleskin. However, is it possible to get a herringbone moleskin? Probably a stupid question, I think moleskin refers to material and finish but I don't know if that precludes making it a herringbone pattern as well.

Funnily enough I saw that blogpost a few years back and as a result commissioned Davide to make me the same coat. Ended up choosing a grey large scale herringbone. It’s wonderful.

I’ve never heard of anything other than a plain moleskin. Ask your tailor?

Simon A

Reaction score

Moleskin is a brushed twill-weave fabric made from cotton. Hence a herringbone can't be a moleskin. Cotton is not a good choice for a winter overcoat; it's adequate for autumn/spring though.

If you want a woollen fabric with that soft brushed feel and appearance, you could consider flannel or doeskin. Hainsworth are the best-known producer of doeskin, and they make it up to 30 oz/yard2 for the Canadian Army.

S K M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken delivery of the new blue and grey Piumas from the LL and would be willing to share photos?

Thanks!

Fonz4

Reaction score
You, sir, are correct. This is a good chance to pick your brain:

- looking for a double-breasted coat cut to fit over a suit
- Navy wool/cashmere blend would be nice, can be a shade or two lighter than standard Navy blue
- hate full length coats, prefer at or maybe just below knee, close to car coat length
- love bold (almost Gestapo-bold) peak lapels, hate the small ones with horizontal top edges
- slanted hand warmer pockets, hate patch pockets, besom pockets below hand warmer pockets okay

I realize I’m describing a long Pea Coat of sorts. What do you think?
Seems you are describing the incoming PWVC overcoat. Wait till september for the release.

Fonz4

Reaction score

This is available from Chrysalys through Country Sports. But not herringbone sorry.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Funnily enough I saw that blogpost a few years back and as a result commissioned Davide to make me the same coat. Ended up choosing a grey large scale herringbone. It’s wonderful.

I’ve never heard of anything other than a plain moleskin. Ask your tailor?

Well you can’t say that without providing pictures please!

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Moleskin is a brushed twill-weave fabric made from cotton. Hence a herringbone can't be a moleskin. Cotton is not a good choice for a winter overcoat; it's adequate for autumn/spring though.

If you want a woollen fabric with that soft brushed feel and appearance, you could consider flannel or doeskin. Hainsworth are the best-known producer of doeskin, and they make it up to 30 oz/yard2 for the Canadian Army.

I'll look into this, thank you! From a cursory search it doesn't look like they have a herringbone in the deerskin.

From an old thread on London Lounge I was also recommended HE Box 32 oz but I can't seem to locate that anywhere.

I may be lambasted for this, but I'd prefer a synthetic fabric if possible for personal reasons. If that's the case, does anyone have a high quality, grey or navy herringbone (or plain navy) synthetic cloth that would be good for this winter coat? If not, open to any suggestions.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone taken delivery of the new blue and grey Piumas from the LL and would be willing to share photos?

Thanks!
Not Piumas, I think. More the DD midweight worsted. Pretty straightforward 12/13oz twill-- dark mid/edging to charcoal grey and navy.

mactire

Reaction score
I'll look into this, thank you! From a cursory search it doesn't look like they have a herringbone in the deerskin.

From an old thread on London Lounge I was also recommended HE Box 32 oz but I can't seem to locate that anywhere.

I may be lambasted for this, but I'd prefer a synthetic fabric if possible for personal reasons. If that's the case, does anyone have a high quality, grey or navy herringbone (or plain navy) synthetic cloth that would be good for this winter coat? If not, open to any suggestions.

Have you contacted HE box at all?

Hainsworth have a few ranges and weights:

Duffle 80/20 wool/nylon https://www.hainsworth.co.uk/collections/duffle/

Pilot Cloth

True Heritage

Pioneer

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Quick question. Can lambswool be used for trousering? Say around 20oz (580 grams).

Does it wear as warm as flannel? And what separates it from traditional woolen flannel?

Alan Bee

I would think that could work for trousers especially given the weight although I haven't seen this bunch in person. Hard to tell if its twill or plain weave or if its woolen or worsted yarn. Twill would be better for trousers but even is its worsted, it would probably wear a lot like a very heavy worsted flannel.

kngrimm

Reaction score
Is there a post or forum where people do group buys (or just buy wool directly from a seller) on nice wools, e.g., fox flannel? If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads