• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may not need a suit but a bespoke overcoat is what you’ve always needed!!!
You, sir, are correct. This is a good chance to pick your brain:

- looking for a double-breasted coat cut to fit over a suit
- Navy wool/cashmere blend would be nice, can be a shade or two lighter than standard Navy blue
- hate full length coats, prefer at or maybe just below knee, close to car coat length
- love bold (almost Gestapo-bold) peak lapels, hate the small ones with horizontal top edges
- slanted hand warmer pockets, hate patch pockets, besom pockets below hand warmer pockets okay

I realize I’m describing a long Pea Coat of sorts. What do you think?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- Navy wool/cashmere blend would be nice, can be a shade or two lighter than standard Navy blue
- hate full length coats, prefer at or maybe just below knee, close to car coat length
- love bold (almost Gestapo-bold) peak lapels, hate the small ones with horizontal top edges
- slanted hand warmer pockets, hate patch pockets, besom pockets below hand warmer pockets okay

Eh these lapels are horizontal but fits more or less the style you're after. I would save the vertical peak lapels for a full length overcoat.

1000-2 copy.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neat! Is that RTW?

I saved it from the London Lounge a few years ago so I'm assuming its bespoke. If I recall correctly @gdl203 is in the process of developing an overcoat for NMWA. Maybe you can get some feedback on what he has in mind for the store.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a smashing Air Force Blue DB overcoat by LBM 1911 from him years ago. Love it but, even after sizing up, it won’t fit over my suit!!!!

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahh found another pic in my archives from Alden.

I bought a smashing Air Force Blue DB overcoat by LBM 1911 from him years ago. Love it but, even after sizing up, it won’t fit over my suit!!!!

The LBM 1911 line fits a lot closer to the body than the regular Luigi Bianchi Mantova line. I have an LBM overcoat that is 10 years old and fits over my suits and I'm pretty broad.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahh found another pic in my archives from Alden.

View attachment 1223726

The LBM 1911 line fits a lot closer to the body than the regular Luigi Bianchi Mantova line. I have an LBM overcoat that is 10 years old and fits over my suits and I'm pretty broad.
Need bolder lapels. ?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have a Frank Leder coat this fall that is what you're describing but in true heavy melton (think long peacoat). It might be a bit heavier than what you have in mind

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually
We have a Frank Leder coat this fall that is what you're describing but in true heavy melton (think long peacoat). It might be a bit heavier than what you have in mind
Actually, heavy is fine. Goal is to wear to work in darkest, coldest winter.

BTW, I wear the heck out of that LBM Air Force Blue DB overcoat but just after work. Works well over a sweater!

Looking forward to checking out the Leder coat.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually
Actually, heavy is fine. Goal is to wear to work in darkest, coldest winter.

BTW, I wear the heck out of that LBM Air Force Blue DB overcoat but just after work. Works well over a sweater.

When does that come on-line?
Slated for Sep 6

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads