• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH

Booth, incidentally I’m wearing a Lesser Tropical 9oz 2pc suit (tobacco) today. While it’s a lovely fabric (amazing hand), it barely holds crease and doesn’t hang like steel as I tend to like my pants.

I was drawn to gabardine because as I understand it, it’s the perfect thing for odd dress trousers because it hold a mean crease and hangs like iron.

I’m looking for a spring/summer trousering that will be cut “Full and High Rise”. I really want the thing to “sway” when I walk. Lesser 8/9oz won’t give you that sway ...

I’ve seen 260gram Gabardine but can’t find heavier. Reading through the archives, Will Boehlke says the lighter stuff wrinkles like tissue paper. He recommends the 360 gram tho.

Alan Bee
Hmm it seems we have different definitions of "hangs like iron". To me hanging like iron and swaying are completely at odds with each other. I have never heard anybody say Lesser doesn't hang like iron. Also I hae never had issues with it holding a crease.

Have you worn fresco?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

Indeed, it's been some time!

Let me post an image of the bunch (courtesy of Hall Madden) just for you to verify its provenance.

I haven't made trousers from this bunch yet, my cloth provider - whom I trust completely - says it's kind of heavy for the Greek weather standards, still, it is a really interesting cloth and I am intrigued. Who knows, maybe in next Spring!

Best,

Dimitris

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    686.6 KB · Views: 84

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm it seems we have different definitions of "hangs like iron". To me hanging like iron and swaying are completely at odds with each other. I have never heard anybody say Lesser doesn't hang like iron. Also I hae never had issues with it holding a crease.

Have you worn fresco?
@patrickBOOTH

Booth, I have quite a few suits in No. 303 Lesser 13oz and they are built like tanks and hang like a steel. But the 8/9oz doesn't come close to the 13oz. In all fairness, for an 8/9oz it performs well for a lightweight. But I'm looking for something that hangs like its got ankle weights on it yet can be worn in Summer/Spring.

Fresco:
Yes, I have a number of odd trousers in H&S Crispaire's, a suit in Smith Finmerecso 13oz, and a suit in Harrisons Spring Ram 13oz. They are all nice options but don't have that dressy finish and hand of Garb. Of the three, Crispaire has the best hand.

When I say sway, when you wear a full cut trouser in drapy cloth, it moves like a palm tree in wind when you move because of all the loose cloth. Especially the lower block (knee to hem).

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

Indeed, it's been some time!

Let me post an image of the bunch (courtesy of Hall Madden) just for you to verify its provenance.

I haven't made trousers from this bunch yet, my cloth provider - whom I trust completely - says it's kind of heavy for the Greek weather standards, still, it is a really interesting cloth and I am intrigued. Who knows, maybe in next Spring!

Best,

Dimitris
@Bespoke DJP

Honestly Dimitris, I cant recall the (Zegna) book even with a gun to my head. I had those pants made 4 years ago and haven't been back to that tailor in years.

Alan Bee

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to source a harris tweed for an overcoat that's like this, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know a producer?

66c02f29ca90393088bd3556eed444e1.jpg

@paborden did you ever find anything that came close to this large scale herringbone? I've been on the look out myself after you posted it a while ago and am curious to see what you've come up with...the only thing that I've come a cross is sort of similar (but it looks like its a touch darker) the W Bill WB21703 in their classic coating bunch

@Despos or @dieworkwear any idea where to find a large scale herringbone overcoat fabric like this?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @classicalthunde,

Should you wish to include Italian mills to your overcoating cloth inquiry, again Hallmadden(at)com helps us illustrate few choices: the overcoats' bunch of the Loro Piana "Pecora Nera" line has two herringbone fabrics, at different colors, weights, similar to what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Dimitris

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 83
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 78

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @classicalthunde,

Should you wish to include Italian mills to your overcoating cloth inquiry, again Hallmadden(at)com helps us illustrate few choices: the overcoats' bunch of the Loro Piana "Pecora Nera" line has two herringbone fabrics, at different colors, weights, similar to what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Dimitris

thanks! it looks like their 720gms? not too worried about the provenance of the fabric, just want to get something suitable for a mid-atlantic winter that has the same look as the modeled pic

I wish more companies would do what Hall Madden does and make their books available to check out on the web...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@paborden did you ever find anything that came close to this large scale herringbone? I've been on the look out myself after you posted it a while ago and am curious to see what you've come up with...the only thing that I've come a cross is sort of similar (but it looks like its a touch darker) the W Bill WB21703 in their classic coating bunch

@Despos or @dieworkwear any idea where to find a large scale herringbone overcoat fabric like this?

I don't know if the fabric is still around, but VBC did some really nice herringbone overcoatings for Drapers. They were alpaca blends with a really nice mottled weave.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got an herringbone overcoat recently from Fox. They had some great very heavy options.
I saw those on Fox's website. What do you think of the fit? I assume they are cut to fit over a suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads