• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wool gab suit from H&S. Mine is a 9oz cloth. It's pretty light and gab is slippery, so it can be hard to tailor. It hangs OK, I don't know if I would say it "hangs like steel."

@dieworkwear

Thank you Derek. Do you know of any gabardines at heavier weights (13oz and over)? And where they might be sourced? Everything I've seen so far is 9oz (260 grams) like your H&S.

Alan Bee

yanagi

Reaction score

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mr. Six

What brand is the cloth? Were you dead set on 9oz or did you look at anything heavier?

Alan Bee
I got it from Ed. It might have been a Zegna fabric. I can’t remember at the moment. I wasn't looking for that weight. The fabric just seemed interesting , and it’s a good weight for most of the year in the Bay Area.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dan'l

Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that gaberdine tends to get shiny at wear points, such as the elbows. Any truth to that?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought that gaberdine tends to get shiny at wear points, such as the elbows. Any truth to that?

Yes, that's the reputation. It's a little easier to hide this in lighter colors such as tan.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What about the 9oz Lesser book? They have some twills in there, but I'm not sure if they are true Gabardines.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about the 9oz Lesser book? They have some twills in there, but I'm not sure if they are true Gabardines.
@patrickBOOTH

Booth, incidentally I’m wearing a Lesser Tropical 9oz 2pc suit (tobacco) today. While it’s a lovely fabric (amazing hand), it barely holds crease and doesn’t hang like steel as I tend to like my pants.

I was drawn to gabardine because as I understand it, it’s the perfect thing for odd dress trousers because it hold a mean crease and hangs like iron.

I’m looking for a spring/summer trousering that will be cut “Full and High Rise”. I really want the thing to “sway” when I walk. Lesser 8/9oz won’t give you that sway ...

I’ve seen 260gram Gabardine but can’t find heavier. Reading through the archives, Will Boehlke says the lighter stuff wrinkles like tissue paper. He recommends the 360 gram tho.

Alan Bee

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

I trust you are well.

Zegna offers the "Gabardine - Trofeo" bunch which may satisfy your requirements. Unfortunately I cannot recall the fabric's exact composition and weight, and apart from August holidays, tomorrow in Greece is a significant religious holiday, so I could not ask on your behalf!

Wait..., haven't you made in the past a pair of trousers out of this bunch? You want something different, or were you dissatisfied?

Cheers,

Dimitris

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dear @Alan Bee,

I trust you are well.

Zegna offers the "Gabardine - Trofeo" bunch which may satisfy your requirements. Unfortunately I cannot recall the fabric's exact composition and weight, and apart from August holidays, tomorrow in Greece is a significant religious holiday, so I could not ask on your behalf!

Wait..., haven't you made in the past a pair of trousers out of this bunch? You want something different, or were you dissatisfied?

Cheers,

Dimitris
@Bespoke DJP

Hey Dimitri’s, long time!

Indeed I had a cream pair made out of a Zegna cloth (which I was told is 8/9oz gabardine) but I doubt it’s Gab. I still wear it but I’m looking for something that hangs even heavier and better ...

Alan Bee
0E4F5EC7-4820-4FF8-A263-37AA929FBA20.jpeg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@patrickBOOTH

Booth, incidentally I’m wearing a Lesser Tropical 9oz 2pc suit (tobacco) today. While it’s a lovely fabric (amazing hand), it barely holds crease and doesn’t hang like steel as I tend to like my pants.

I was drawn to gabardine because as I understand it, it’s the perfect thing for odd dress trousers because it hold a mean crease and hangs like iron.

I’m looking for a spring/summer trousering that will be cut “Full and High Rise”. I really want the thing to “sway” when I walk. Lesser 8/9oz won’t give you that sway ...

I’ve seen 260gram Gabardine but can’t find heavier. Reading through the archives, Will Boehlke says the lighter stuff wrinkles like tissue paper. He recommends the 360 gram tho.

Alan Bee

If you have access to the London Lounge see if anyone has a bolt of the Tan Piuma for sale. It’s a beautiful fabric at 10 oz, holds a crease, and feels cool against the skin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics