• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dan'l

Reaction score
I think it’ll look sharp, provided one just won the Masters.

mactire

Reaction score
You need a very tall blonde lady on each arm to complete the look. Plus a couple of surly-looking Chechen bodyguards.

The karakul coat would still be less expensive than the Fox flannel :)

Lol where are you getting this karakul!!

Simon A

Reaction score
Someone offered to sell me a fur length mink pelt for 1500 aud once...
It must have been a beauty. Karakul pelts from a weaned lamb (with larger curls) look perfectly good and only cost about $20 each. The pelts from pre-natal lambs, with tiny curls, are very pricey and are not harvested under very humane conditions.

4r36

Reaction score
Dear all,

I am commissioning a 3 pieces suit in blue and I would need your advice. My first choice would be the Minnis 'bright blue' (ref. 0761) from the Classic II collection. Yet I read here that many also suggest the fabric in super 150s from the QZ volume. Should I go for it, indeed? Does anyone has experience with the french navy (ref. 55547) or navy (55548) from that volume?

Thank you very much guys!

Nicola

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, looking at the same book @4r36. Considering 0760 and 0761 from Classic II and leaning toward the "bright blue" which doesn't seem quite that bright (I want a non-midnight navy). I don't think a super 150s is your go-to for a workhorse navy suit, if that's what you're going for.

4r36

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, looking at the same book @4r36. Considering 0760 and 0761 from Classic II and leaning toward the "bright blue" which doesn't seem quite that bright (I want a non-midnight navy). I don't think a super 150s is your go-to for a workhorse navy suit, if that's what you're going for.

Thank you very much, dear. Like you, I am leaning towards the 0761 as, on the one hand, I do not want a mid-night navy, and, on the other hand, I do not want a bright blue. Despite the name, the 0761 is not that bright, indeed. I do not need to dress up for work, but the suit is supposed to be an 'all-round' one. So your advice of not going for the super 150s for a workhorse navy still holds. Thanks again!

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much, dear. Like you, I am leaning towards the 0761 as, on the one hand, I do not want a mid-night navy, and, on the other hand, I do not want a bright blue. Despite the name, the 0761 is not that bright, indeed. I do not need to dress up for work, but the suit is supposed to be an 'all-round' one. So your advice of not going for the super 150s for a workhorse navy still holds. Thanks again!

I dont have the book in front of me, but I thought 0760 was the bright navy, 0761 was navy, and 0762 was midnight, though I could be mistaken. In any case, 0761 is a classic navy and should be a staple addition to any wardrobe. As has been mentioned, 0760 is not really bright, and the entire Classics II book is on the reserved side.

On that subject, Classics II is one of my favorite books around. Beautiful cloth in 12-13 ounces with good body and matte finishes. The suits I've made in this cloth have been very robust and I expect them to wear well for many years. QZ is a very different cloth, and while I like it and appreciate the quality, they are not like for like replacements. It is a bit shinier, a bit brighter, a bit lighter and a little more smooth. Very nice cloths, but different.

I would suggest handling both if you are able, but also deciding what properties you are looking for with your commision. Definitely post the results either way! Who is making it for you?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any specific mid-grey flannel recommendations for trousers to go with a navy blazer? So far I like this Drapers (8934L) and this Merchant Fox CBT5 (A1285/22) but am not trying to break the bank on pants...any mid-price point recommendations?

I have three pairs of flannels from VBC, and a flannel suit in the heavy weight stuff they make. I have been very happy with them, personally.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have three pairs of flannels from VBC, and a flannel suit in the heavy weight stuff they make. I have been very happy with them, personally.

thanks, do you know which color in the VBC book that comes the closest to the Drapers cloth?

edit, also what weight would you recommend for winter 360g? or heavier?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads