• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...that said I complete understand needing to find a specific color and if that is the only offering available, though I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other offerings out there with similar shades of racing green

zr3rs

Reaction score
The Fox Mayfair flannel would be "unsuitable" in most regions of the world.

The prices on the website are designed not to undercut any tailor anywhere. Your tailor will have much more reasonable conditions. Furthermore, you can always ask.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Fox Mayfair flannel would be "unsuitable" in most regions of the world.

The prices on the website are designed not to undercut any tailor anywhere. Your tailor will have much more reasonable conditions. Furthermore, you can always ask.
I mean it is kinda cold where most oil oligrachs live...

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why they wear karakul overcoats and mink ushankas....
A karakul overcoat and a sable collar coat/leather jacket of some sort are on the top of my ‘top ten extravagant items one must own’ list once I have the big monies

Simon A

Reaction score
A karakul overcoat and a sable collar coat/leather jacket of some sort are on the top of my ‘top ten extravagant items one must own’ list once I have the big monies

You need a very tall blonde lady on each arm to complete the look. Plus a couple of surly-looking Chechen bodyguards.

The karakul coat would still be less expensive than the Fox flannel :)

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Ask stupid question [after too many Manhattans], get a few useful and informative answers. I'm much obliged.

I mean it is kinda cold where most oil oligrachs live...

It can get quite cold in Philadelphia in the winter, although things are different in July and the nearest thing we have to an oligarch is probably Johnny Doc, who isn't really a fashion icon.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That would be for an overcoat.

Gorina of Spain have very nice green woollen flannels at about 16 oz, at 10% the price of the Mayfair flannel :) It's a good weight for a winter suit.
Is that a donkey color similar to what LL was offering a few years back? Might have potential for a khaki-equivalent for winter.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Presumably your tailor will be happy to make the connection. Unless Gorina are one of those shops that demand a certain level of business to provide service. If you were too small, the broker for Harrison's (or whoever) will sometimes take their books back. Rizzo's tailor in Cambridge had that problem after a while.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I might make enquiries about Gorina if my notion comes to pass, although I could also imagine retreating to my original plan, which was the bottle green ~ 13 ounce barathea merino (product 0777) from the Huddersfield Classics II collection. Of course, I might give up on the idea or chose an entirely different option. Ah, the future: a lot of vague, ill-defined nonsense full of opportunities for bad decisions!

In the mean time, where bad decisions are also well-accommodated, I have this nice big bolt of Schofield & Smith ~11 ounce super 100s blue with grey chalkstripes eventually destined for an indulgent double-breasted confection.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might make enquiries about Gorina if my notion comes to pass, although I could also imagine retreating to my original plan, which was the bottle green ~ 13 ounce barathea merino (product 0777) from the Huddersfield Classics II collection. Of course, I might give up on the idea or chose an entirely different option. Ah, the future: a lot of vague, ill-defined nonsense full of opportunities for bad decisions!

In the mean time, where bad decisions are also well-accommodated, I have this nice big bolt of Schofield & Smith ~11 ounce super 100s blue with grey chalkstripes eventually destined for an indulgent double-breasted confection.
I know an eBay seller selling a 350g bottle green faille

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would Fox's 20 or 21 ounce half merino, half cashmere Mayfair flannel be for, other than perhaps causing bankruptcy?

I ask partially out of genuine curiosity, but also because I really want to have a green suit made, but finding cloth in a shade of green that I like it hard and said ₤ 400 per meter ($ 500.88 at today's exchange rate) is one of the very few that I've found, so I need help talking myself out of such reckless extravagance, which I suspect it's best to start on early, as this is a relatively long-term plan. (Maybe they'll sell out before my bank account is at risk) It seems like a too heavy a weight for a suiting, but I recall reading that suits were once made of much heavier fabric than are now in fashion and tend to like very substantial things. I also have a vague sense that anything with a significant share of cashmere might not be hard enough wearing for trousers. Despite any of that, it is, however, a lovely shade of green.

Will turn into a very good blazer with gold buttons, both single and double breasted. Structured shoulders and flapped pockets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads