• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AWu

Reaction score
Drapers got lighter weight options - approx 8 oz from the same book

For ultimate option, go see Zenga cool effect - real saver from summer heat in tropic summer time

thatitalian

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You aren’t late at all.

That Drapers Ascot looks really nice and despite the weight I keep going back to it. And in my searches I came across the frontier as well. Thank you for the insight as well!

So far in my office I’ve noticed it’s even more casual than I had thought so that gives me a little more leeway in terms of texture and casual nature of fabric.
I’ve actually requested a commission from Sartoria Pasinato in the Drapers 4-ply and I can personally vouch for how amazing this fabric is, so much that I have requested a second commission in the same fabric (different colour).

5742ACAD-1563-4009-8F26-F7F16AC81441.jpeg
CCBBEC56-C48C-4438-AF20-131EABD9CEFA.jpeg

It is weighty but feels cool and drapes phenomenally well - perfect three season fabric for London.

AWu

Reaction score
How do you feel about it vs vbc 4 ply?

I’ve actually requested a commission from Sartoria Pasinato in the Drapers 4-ply and I can personally vouch for how amazing this fabric is, so much that I have requested a second commission in the same fabric (different colour).

View attachment 1141177 View attachment 1141178

It is weighty but feels cool and drapes phenomenally well - perfect three season fabric for London.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about it vs vbc 4 ply?

Isn't Drapers Ascot/4-ply made by VBC? I took a look at the book on a recent visit to the Armoury and they had a VBC logo on the samples and I believe they said that it is essentially a high end line of VBC 4-ply in a heavier weight s (I think 12oz).

I could be wrong, but is "drapers" distinction just a branding thing, maybe to make it sound more British and distinguish it from the run of the mill VBC cloths?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am of the opinion that VBC makes great cloth. Quite how it became thought of as somehow entry level on StyleForum is confusing to me. Especially considering how often VBC ends up in the collections of better thought of lines. Scabal comes to mind as well as Drapers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My understanding is the VBC mill is owned by two families. VBC and Drapers. They both operate the same mill but do their own lines of cloth.
Think VBC reputation is mixed because they do a diffusion line to manufacturers. This is not the same cloth available to tailors. I have made up for myself a lot of VBC cloth and it tailors easily and wears well.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My understanding is the VBC mill is owned by two families. VBC and Drapers. They both operate the same mill but do their own lines of cloth.
Think VBC reputation is mixed because they do a diffusion line to manufacturers. This is not the same cloth available to tailors. I have made up for myself a lot of VBC cloth and it tailors easily and wears well.

ahh, thanks for the insight! this makes a lot more sense!

BernieL

Reaction score
Trying to find a pale sand/oatmeal S/S jacketing fabric like this one from Loro Piana made up by Saman Amel:
upload_2019-3-14_0-7-30.png

I've looked at Caccioppoli, Ariston, Loro Piana (new S/S 2019 jacketings), and even English mills but wasn't able to find anything comparable.

The closest thing I could find was this fabric from the Loro Piana Mare collection:
upload_2019-3-14_0-9-40.png

upload_2019-3-14_0-9-51.png

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

UPDATE: Just confirmed with Saman Amel that the SC is from the old LP Mare collection. The one I posted is the newer Mare, which is quite close. Case closed!

Last edited:
Reactions: AWu

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, it was run on pre-order and sold out a long time ago.

I seem to remember that you mentioned the possibility of doing another production run and maybe a different color. Anything in the pipeline?

TOBestWR

Reaction score
@BernieL,

Take a look at Crystal Springs book by Holland and Sherry (code 478900 and 478901) might be interesting also.

Also, check the Lisburn Irish Linen book by Dugdale, alot of them are similar to what your are looking for.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also suspected that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads