• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t you find the grey herringbone a little tough to wear dynamically?

Brown POW is great but brown herringbone is way more flexible than grey for me.

Not at all, honestly. If the herringbone has enough contrast (black and white yarns instead of grey) it can be paired with all shades of grey flannels. Ok, with medium grey you will need a strong coloured tie and/or cardigan to break the almost monochromatic ensemble but it works (at least to my eye).

Brown is easier to pair, yes (grey flannels, khaki cottons, fawn cavalry twills) but it may look too countrified in some situations. Same happens with green.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've stumbled across some vintage tweeds and am contemplating having some suits / jackets made. That said, I'm trying not to do the thing I always seem to do when finding vintage fabric, i.e. buy everything in a fit of gluttony.

I've attached some of what I'm considering. Perhaps a suit in Kildary Skerray? Jacket in Carrol Altasbeag? Inchnadamph might be too green, I dunno and on the fence about the Blarmor.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Good finds. Soporific Estate Tweeds at their best.

First and second one the nicest. The first is almost identical to one of the designs of the late Minnis Lambswool book. Super easy to pair with cords and moleskins in any colour.

Where do you get those names from? Do you know the mill?

paborden

Reaction score
Good finds. Soporific Estate Tweeds at their best.

First and second one the nicest. The first is almost identical to one of the designs of the late Minnis Lambswool book. Super easy to pair with cords and moleskins in any colour.

Where do you get those names from? Do you know the mill?

This is old Hunter's of Brora stuff

paborden

Reaction score
I guess the question too is if a suit of Kildary Skerray would be too much

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I did a jacket from the third one. Better than most from that book, with a real Cheviot look about it, but not a LL level if that is your benchmark. And yes— feels a tad better for cool spring days than autumn, not that it matters too much.

paborden

Reaction score
I did a jacket from the third one. Better than most from that book, with a real Cheviot look about it, but not a LL level if that is your benchmark. And yes— feels a tad better for cool spring days than autumn, not that it matters too much.

I mean my sense is that LL is just a custom Lovat tweed run, right? Not that I'm putting down LL. Lovat and Hunter's always seemed roughly equivalent in my mind in terms of make, just that there's extra thoughtfulness and skill put into the LL designs. But what do I know.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Construction is also first-class. Again, this one pattern felt different from the others in the Hunter’s book, but the rest were pretty undistinguished. Even this one may not be as good as LL in a few years. We shall see.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not hopsack, but I’m in a brown suit today.

83EA96B0-34DC-4F52-B453-815FD98482D4.jpeg

E75B5D06-E04C-4E4B-A2D8-B6B741368DEC.jpeg

A0481956-A412-4816-A871-3A3F598E339E.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads