• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most suiting cloth books have 3 shades of plain grey. That makes it easy to describe them as dark/mid/light grey. But what if the book has 4 or more shades of grey? I know there are charcoal and oxford grey colours but I was never able to know what shades are they referring to. Conclusion: I end up ordering cloth lengths for trousers of all grey shades available, and that increases my unfunded liabilities to an insane degree. :(

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Funny about the relativity of color judgements. The glimpse of the lower left fabric is of finmeresco 2730 which I would have thought light grey from the web pic, but the trousers I have in that fabric reads mid grey to me, perhaps on the “lighter” side. Mid grey for me requires a good but not extreme contrast with navy on the lightness scale, as in the above botany/archive flannel contrast. I wouldn’t want the grey to be too much darker. I think the above pic of the archive flannel bleaches on the lightness scale as well.

View attachment 1094316

View attachment 1094315
As with "middle class", there are many shades and variants. Between light grey and charcoal (which some London shops say is lighter than Oxford or dark grey-- go figure) is a fair bit of ground to cover.

Stugotes

Reaction score
We have taken to calling this cloth the Gulf Racing jacket. The picture you have posted does no justice to this swatch in person and there should be a jacket to share with you all in the next few months. I have a friend who is waiting to pull the trigger as other items clear the queue.

Did this come to fruition? Still very interested.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of lengths that have just arrived from England.

First is a 15/16 oz cavalry twill. Color is a true navy. I had envisioned this as a winter BlazerSuit to compliment the fresco I have for summer. This cav strangely has a bit of sheen to it though so wondering if maybe it might work better as a straight up blazer in either DB with brown horn buttons or SB with brass. What do you guys think?
77064E26-1D59-41EB-A589-290C9198282C.jpeg

This POW is about 10oz, very soft handle. Sort of a spring/early fall cloth I guess. I am tempted to go DB but I imagine that would be significantly less wearable than SB.
CA246507-BC4E-4A40-A006-3F7248D3151D.jpeg

Skanstull

Reaction score

First is a 15/16 oz cavalry twill. Color is a true navy. I had envisioned this as a winter BlazerSuit to compliment the fresco I have for summer. This cav strangely has a bit of sheen to it though so wondering if maybe it might work better as a straight up blazer in either DB with brown horn buttons or SB with brass. What do you guys think?
View attachment 1096298

This POW is about 10oz, very soft handle. Sort of a spring/early fall cloth I guess. I am tempted to go DB but I imagine that would be significantly less wearable than SB.
View attachment 1096292
Which merchant/book is the Pow? Looks great.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1096298

View attachment 1096292
Pow Db for sure. No doubt.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which merchant/book is the Pow? Looks great.

I picked these up from a jobber so these are likely not part of any current bunches. The product listing said the POW is by William Halstead and the twill is Bower Roebuck although neither selvedge is branded apart from the fabric composition on the POW.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did this come to fruition? Still very interested.

No, he got cold feet. I did just check on it and there is still stock left with the distributor, so maybe there is still time to convince him. Are you thinking of having it made up? Maker and details?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, he got cold feet. I did just check on it and there is still stock left with the distributor, so maybe there is still time to convince him. Are you thinking of having it made up? Maker and details?
Is this in regards to the racing green linen? I never received my order!!!!!

bamboo

Reaction score
I think it depends on weight and type. Dressy one or casual one etc.
Testa should have it. I guess Canclini or Albiate (Albini brand) should have those too.

Stugotes

Reaction score

I haven‘t done anything yet, as I was looking for something made up from it before I order cloth worth 300€. Thank you anyway! May just order a length then.

I would probably have one of the Fiorentines make it up as a nice classic 3btn jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads