• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Is the light olive colour I posted more suitable for coats, or would it also work for a flexible odd trouser?

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing tailor next month, want to do a blazersuit in 0516 fresco, but was curious to any thoughts on whether it was worth going for a heavier weight fresco for durability purposes without losing too much warm weather use. I get really hot, so I’m not worried about not being able to wear fresco in all but coldest climes (I’m in Philly).

I also run hot and have a blazersuit in 0516 in the lightest weight. it is still pretty tough stuff and hard wearing, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd go with the light weigh (9/10oz if i recall).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
9/10 is the standard, coarse medium weight (perhaps called light weight in the books). There is a lighter version (8/9?) and the 14/15 stuff, which is very stiff indeed.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is the light olive colour I posted more suitable for coats, or would it also work for a flexible odd trouser?
Earthier than the greys, but could easily go with a blazer or tweed. Depends on how urban or polished your work environment is.

Buster

Reaction score
I also run hot and have a blazersuit in 0516 in the lightest weight. it is still pretty tough stuff and hard wearing, so I wouldn't worry about that. I'd go with the light weigh (9/10oz if i recall).
I have the 0516 which I find to be great. I also have 0533, which I use in the Fall/Spring and Summer (but the worst days of the summer). I do not find it to be too warm.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this group would be a good resource to find a great alterations tailor in LA. Many thanks in advance for any ideas.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this group would be a good resource to find a great alterations tailor in LA. Many thanks in advance for any ideas.
Unsure of your location, but Sid Mashburn's tailors do pretty solid work. Not the cheapest, but I've been impressed.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unsure of your location, but Sid Mashburn's tailors do pretty solid work. Not the cheapest, but I've been impressed.
I'm actually looking for a friend of mine. He is Manhattan Beach based, but is down in OC/ Irvine often as well.

SartorialSpender

Reaction score
Any opinion on the new (2017) Dugdale Royal Classic Vantage (with weight reduction to 11.9 ozs), as compared to either the old Royal Classic or Smith Botany etc.?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be in Paris for a few days and plan on stopping by Lafayette Saltiel Draper. Are there any recommendations for vintage cloth I should ask to see?

mactire

Reaction score
I’ll be in Paris for a few days and plan on stopping by Lafayette Saltiel Draper. Are there any recommendations for vintage cloth I should ask to see?

Take a look at their vintage flannels and also follow their instagram for other patterns you might be interested in.

Anyone here have access to trade prices for Huddersfield Fine Worsteds/JJ Minnis?

Sneaky Pete

Reaction score
I got sent a small book of summer wools by my tailor in Bangkok. Am I crazy for thinking this might make good trousers? I’m worried it’s a bit loud. (Pic inserted below)

I am definitely going for some semi-formal trousers in this for summer wear
https://raystitch.co.uk/irish-linen-wool-ash
I love the texturing.

31DE0BAC-12AC-491B-9639-3179CA67D454.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads