• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I will be having some trousers made up in a "jean style" with U-shaped front pockets and back patch pockets. They won't be able to have the rivets, but will still retain a casual feel.

I'm curious what fabrics people would recommend in heavyweight, sturdy cotton that would work well in this style. A heavyweight canvas or cavalry twill comes to mind.

I very much like the fabrics of Brisbane Moss, but they don't seem to have much above 320 grams. I'm thinking more 450 - 500 grams.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I will be having some trousers made up in a "jean style" with U-shaped front pockets and back patch pockets. They won't be able to have the rivets, but will still retain a casual feel.
I'm curious what fabrics people would recommend in heavyweight, sturdy cotton that would work well in this style. A heavyweight canvas or cavalry twill comes to mind.
I very much like the fabrics of Brisbane Moss, but they don't seem to have much above 320 grams. I'm thinking more 450 - 500 grams.

Cacciopolli Napoli has a selection called "Winter Cottons" which I think would work well for this.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Hi Guys,

drill

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most jeans in general don't have a high rise and too slim. If you know of a maker of various shards of brown with a high rise and fuller leg I'm all ears.

I kind of have to need to make fabric decisions by Christmas so Doif anything with Naples might be tricky.

Who makes good quality heavy drill these days?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Drapers has good drill and it's everywhere. H&S also good

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Moleskin would be a good option as well, albeit a bit heavy. Though, I do think tailored pants in such a style would look a little weird.

Take a look at Grown & Sewn's KAX pants - a denim / khaki hybrid. Cut higher and not that slim.

Last edited:

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does seem like a bit of a waste to bespeak such a casual pant. Have you looked at Cordings? Wide variety of moleskins, cords even jeans. Rise is very high but leg is pretty pegged - tapers to the bottom. I think it's a pretty flattering cut on me and I have the same rise issue with most jeans.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Most jeans in general don't have a high rise and too slim. If you know of a maker of various shards of brown with a high rise and fuller leg I'm all ears.

Levi's meatpacking district will custom make jeans however you want them, and some of the LVC from earlier years are both quite high-waisted and full through the leg.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not sure if they come in various shades of brown, but you can look into Levis Vintage Clothing's 1947 501 cut, and others like it (3Sixteen just came out with a somewhat similar cut).

Though, I think these are two completely different projects - a pair of jeans with a slightly higher rise and fuller cut, and then casual cotton drill pants made with jean pockets.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Levi's meatpacking district will custom make jeans however you want them, and some of the LVC from earlier years are both quite high-waisted and full through the leg.
Really? Any idea what that costs?

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
It's a bit ridiculous. Something around $600. But it also really is worth trying on some of the other LVC cuts. There's alot of variation. All the cuts prior to 1960's are reasonably high waisted, and the Cone mills denim is nice.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a bit ridiculous. Something around $600. But it also really is worth trying on some of the other LVC cuts. There's alot of variation. All the cuts prior to 1960's are reasonably high waisted, and the Cone mills denim is nice.
Ah, okay, thanks. I'm not a jeans freak, so I'll stick with RTW. :lol:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Still cheaper than 3x1's "bespoke" denim that starts at $1,200!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads