• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with flannel above 350/370g is that for most of us will wear too warm in a standard office. I run cold and my old Minnis flannel suits (400g) feel slightly too warm. My 340g worsted flannel are more comfortable. I think 370g might be a good compromise between comfort and durability/hand/drape.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with flannel above 350/370g is that for most of us will wear too warm in a standard office. I run cold and my old Minnis flannel suits (400g) feel slightly too warm. My 340g worsted flannel are more comfortable. I think 370g might be a good compromise between comfort and durability/hand/drape.
That’s the problem with fox heritage flannel, correct?

I looked up the weight on my drapers fabric, it’s 310g. Not sure about the Harrison’s fabric, lighter than the heritage flannel bust still quite robust. My guess is 400g (actually, I have a medium gray flannel & a db navy chalkstripe coming). I unintentionally went heavy on flannels this year & was thinking of doing one more. Only 1 worsted navy 450g suit (although flipping through the standeven heritage twist book, I was tempted by a 500g dark olive fabric).

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that 550g Fox flannel posted earlier might be overkill in any office. For solely outdors wear might be fine in winter.

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
My 320/340g trousers feel like a good weight. I can imagine going a bit heavier, but absolutely not above 400g in my office setting.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the subject of heavy worsteds - Does anyone have experience with Harrison’s Universal? Or suggestions on another heavy worsted with a navy nailhead/Birdseye.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_9049.jpeg
IMG_9050.jpeg

This is a sample sent by my tailor of the flannel. It felt like the same weight. But after pressing a crease into it, it doesn’t take the crease the same, so I’m not sure if that is actually the same. At any rate it’s a heavy weight flannel & you’d suggest it’s too heavy for modern offices.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of heavy worsteds - Does anyone have experience with Harrison’s Universal? Or suggestions on another heavy worsted with a navy nailhead/Birdseye.
How heavy are you going?

14oz:
IMG_9040.jpeg

18 Oz:
image.jpg

I just trusted the tailor’s suggestion when I did the 450g. But these look awesome. I was considering doing the last fabric for an olive suit for the fall. But I’m not sure yet.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I have two double breasted suits from this bunch. One is 19/20 ounces. The other is 18/19 ounces. They will outlive me. The cloth is old school English with a bone dry handle.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JHWilliams

Reaction score
worsted flannel should wear better than woolen, right?

makes sense. Once / week seems like a good guideline.

is that heavy weight worsted?
Yes, heavy weight worsted with just a touch of milling.

Worsted flannel will definitely be stronger than woolen, but I don’t think it’s worth it. If you want durability: go with a hard worsted. If you want the luxurious drape and comfort of a flannel: you’ll just have to put up with the fact that it will need to be looked after.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How often should one wear a flannel suit to avoid the crotch blowing out? Is worsted flannel any better?
No definitive answer.
Have seen the trousers blow out quickly or over years of wear.
Different for each individual.
My suit was from the Harrisons flannel book, lasted a few years. Wore it often but only 6-7 months of the year.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

Any flannel is going to be warm, regardless of weight. I find my 18 ounce flannel suits wear just as warm as my 12/13 ounce flannels. The weave and finishing is closed up tighter than a drum.

My office is damn cold (I’m a cheap Yankee) so I appreciate my 18 ounce flannels in the winter time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads