• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Dear Gentlemen,

Two pertinent questions if you don't mind: how heavy was/is the LL Ultimate Blazer fabric?

Which exactly is its composition? If memory serves, I think it is a mix.

Best,

Dimitris
I believe it is around 15/16 ounces

Lambswool and angora mix.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe it is around 15/16 ounces

Lambswool and angora mix.
I believe this is correct, I think I saw Alden wrote it was 400-450g

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be saving that for something special. I don’t understand the concept of multiple blue blazers.

I think the idea is that blue blazer/sport coat, like grey trousers, is ubiquitous and can be used in a ton of different situations and easily used in different combo outfits. So, I have one for spring summer and a heavier one for fall winter so that I can wear them year round (although the stylistic details differ).

Loro Piana, dead stock, have had the cloth around 15 years.

used the cloth frequently with clients, saved one for me.

@Despos do you have any recommendations for a navy doeskin blazer? I have had a hard time finding anything in books labeled as such, but from what I remember doeskin used to be classic/common winter blazer cloth

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't seen doeskin jacketing for a long, long time.
Do have a doeskin gabardine I use for trousers

Sreezy36

Reaction score
Ultimate navy blazer is not a workhorse fabric and very soft. It is a woolen and worsted mix.

The heavy mock-Leno would be a good three season cloth

I was under the impression that the lambswool and angora blend is extremely durable. The softness of cashmere but the durability of a tweed. People on this thread have posted very positive experiences in regards to the durability of both “Moonbeam” and WBill “lamlana.” Same composition as the LL UNB cloth but at a much lighter weight.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, not something really extravagant as the Agnelli beige PoW "jacketing fabric" at 625glm.
I’m looking forward to having that fabric made up. I still haven’t gotten around to it, but it’s on the docket as I brought it to Milan last trip. I was just going to do a normal sports jacket.

I was under the impression that the lambswool and angora blend is extremely durable. The softness of cashmere but the durability of a tweed. People on this thread have posted very positive experiences in regards to the durability of both “Moonbeam” and WBill “lamlana.” Same composition as the LL UNB cloth but at a much lighter weight.

I wouldn’t say that lambswool & angora has the same softness of cashmere. Actually, it’s not close. Cashmere (and vicuña) are a lot of luxurious than lambswool & angora. But, it’s also reflected in the price.

Ultimate navy blazer fabric, imo, is nicer than the moonbeam or lamlana from what I felt / recall. But, not saying those are bad.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What didn’t he like about the ultimate navy blazer? It drapes very well. Usually tailors don’t like the tissue paper cloth.
I’m not really certain. He always held a stash of unfunded liabilities that we would later use. When I sent him the LL blazer jacketing, he suggested that I sell it (which I did) as he did not like it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m not really certain. He always held a stash of unfunded liabilities that we would later use. When I sent him the LL blazer jacketing, he suggested that I sell it (which I did) as he did not like it.
@brax
The person you sold it to is selling it.
It may have the "pink tie" syndrome

The_Schmidt

Reaction score
When visiting my tailor today for the 3rd fitting of my linen suit (details in the bespoke thread tomorrow or Sunday), I also pulled the trigger on that "Superflannel" for winter trousers. It seems like a really nice fabric, the bit of cashmere makes it soft yet it should not be too delicate.

And, I am very heavily considering to get a winter suit made of this:
IMG_9348.jpeg

In real life it is not as blue as in the picture, though. Anyone got any experience with that? The look and feel are really good to me and the weight seems also to be just in the right spot.

LJ1891

Reaction score
Hi

Would anybody be able to point me in the direction of where to find similarly sized houndstooth mid weight jacketing?
16B5CB6B-B9B0-46ED-A909-7FAB696F26B2.jpeg

Last edited:

JHWilliams

Reaction score
When visiting my tailor today for the 3rd fitting of my linen suit (details in the bespoke thread tomorrow or Sunday), I also pulled the trigger on that "Superflannel" for winter trousers. It seems like a really nice fabric, the bit of cashmere makes it soft yet it should not be too delicate.

And, I am very heavily considering to get a winter suit made of this:
View attachment 1968093

In real life it is not as blue as in the picture, though. Anyone got any experience with that? The look and feel are really good to me and the weight seems also to be just in the right spot.
This is the classic bunch without cashmere. The 1772 bunch has 10 % cashmere and is a pleasure to wear.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but what is hopsack?

This is my understanding: a lot of times, mock Leno gets lumped into the hopsack category. But hopsack can be a jacket or suit, depending upon how open weave it is, correct? @Despos posted a few days ago about hopsack, & it got me thinking. What is the actual definition? Is a basket weave (mock Leno) considered a hopsack? Mock Leno is more open weave than some hopsack from what I’ve seen. As despos mentioned, drapers placed hopsack in the formalwear book, which indicates (to me, and correct me if I’m wrong) that it could be used for a suit. Standeven has 2 hopsack fabrics in their formalwear book as well, one dark midnight, the other navy.

So excuse me if this is a stupid question, just trying to understand / make sure my understanding is correct.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but what is hopsack?

This is my understanding: a lot of times, mock Leno gets lumped into the hopsack category. But hopsack can be a jacket or suit, depending upon how open weave it is, correct? @Despos posted a few days ago about hopsack, & it got me thinking. What is the actual definition? Is a basket weave (mock Leno) considered a hopsack? Mock Leno is more open weave than some hopsack from what I’ve seen. As despos mentioned, drapers placed hopsack in the formalwear book, which indicates (to me, and correct me if I’m wrong) that it could be used for a suit. Standeven has 2 hopsack fabrics in their formalwear book as well, one dark midnight, the other navy.

So excuse me if this is a stupid question, just trying to understand / make sure my understanding is correct.

My understanding is that hopsack is 2x2 weave vs a 1x1 for a plain weave, thereby giving it a bit more texture.

I’m not quite sure what the difference is between hopsack suiting and hopsack jacketing. My understanding is that the weave is the same but suiting doesn’t have as much of a pronounced texture as the jacketing. I wonder if it’s due to the size of the thread or the tightness of the weave

This is a helpful breakdown of the different weaves with some good illustrations:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads