• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing this suit for a while but I can't find any info online about the listed fabric: Fox Brothers' Summer Sportex.

Anyone have any idea what the cloth would be like?

That is weird, I am confused.

I thought Sportex was a heavier (not Summer for sure) fabric.

Also thought is was trademarked by Dormeuil (like Fresco)

Really interested, if you get the suit, to hear about the fabric …

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends how you describe “workmanship” - Attolini does have a decent amount of handwork but it also has plenty of machine steps. Whether these things matter to you is a different question but they aren’t priced how they are because someone is hand padding the chest or lapel or because they’re doing some superior level of work compared to Solito, Zizolfi, Panico, Dalcuore, etc, etc. for damn near twice the price.

Are there advantages to RTW? Absolutely and this isn’t a knock on RTW. Accessibility (both in terms of speed and going to a store near you), ability to buy things discounted or second hand, ability to try things on before you buy.

But the original premise was that you can’t get Attolini quality for less than Attolini costs. They’re selling a basic WSL suit this season for £6500/€7500 ex vat.

As someone who has ordered from 2/4 of the tailors you mentioned, I stand on my opinion about attolini making a solid jacket. Fit, notwithstanding because that’s all individually independent, attolini might make a better garment. Now, attolini is more expensive, that’s true.

Attolini makes a good product, that you’ll pay appropriately for. My point was only that bespoke isn’t necessarily better. Another thing to think about: rubinacci, & liverano are just as expensive at attolini.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has ordered from 2/4 of the tailors you mentioned, I stand on my opinion about attolini making a solid jacket. Fit, notwithstanding because that’s all individually independent, attolini might make a better garment. Now, attolini is more expensive, that’s true.

Attolini makes a good product, that you’ll pay appropriately for. My point was only that bespoke isn’t necessarily better. Another thing to think about: rubinacci, & liverano are just as expensive at attolini.

I agree with you, bespoke is not necessarily better. If you have an average frame with no particular issues, a jacket from Attolini could be as perfect as any bespoke one. Their level of craftsmanship and finishing is second to none, whereas the style is a little conservative, especially in comparison with the bolder one of other tailors, though timeless.
That said, the price is certainly high and for that you could possibly have a great bespoke product made according to your specifications, as cloth, in the first place, and other more or less relevant features and details, as canvassing, shoulder shape and construction, lapel form and width, buttons and buttonholes, and so on.

Last edited:

camez_

Reaction score
still undecided if I should get one length of these beauties
5qGFeLUh.png

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello all, I am planning to order a Raglan overcoat from Steed.

The inspiration was the coat worn by DDL in the Phantom Thread, which seems to be from W Bill No. 21532 (https://therake.com/stories/style/celluloid-style-phantom-thread/#&gid=1&pid=9).

However, do any of you have any alternatives for the cloth? I am looking for something heavy, hard-wearing and classic. Perhaps HE Box or Dugdale (Invincible?) have something.

There are some good examples from Drakes this season, which provide a good reference point: https://us.drakes.com/collections/raglan-coats

Many thanks.
Make sure they are OK with the raglan style. It is off the usual Savile Row pattern book, so many will not touch it.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All, its been a while since I've been around here. But I'm seeking some wisdom. I just joined a yacht club. I even just bought myself a sailboat, a Sabre 30, I'm naming Silver Bell.

In honor of this upcoming season I am commissioning myself a blazer. Likely a basic single breasted two button blazer with the club buttons.

I wanted to see if anyone had recommendations for the right cloth to use. It will be for spring/summer on the Long Island Sound in Connecticut.

What is the traditional summer blazer cloth? Would it be a hopsack or mockleno? Another weave? Does anyone have recommendations for which is their favorite cloth?
Mockleno from Minnis Fresco, Finmeresco, or Spring Ram is where to start if you don’t want to go for linen. Fox also has some excellent summer fabrics. LIS becomes a steam bath in the summer, so don’t be too macho about the weight. Breathing is good.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone handled the Fox Special Edition 1772 flannel?
It is really awesome. Some weird colors, so many clients are using them more for trousers, but it will also make a lovely suit.

xizenta

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some bunches to look through for a 13-20oz fabric with a fuzzy cashmerey finish like below? Purpose will be same kind of thing, a chore jacket or safari jacket.

G_Inglese_FW22_lavoro_chore_shirt_jacket_wool_cashmere_glenplaid_8_2048x.jpg

xizenta

Reaction score
Marling and Evans Natural collection, not that soft though. Dugdale Ecology.

I've been wanting to look at M&E's bunches for a while but their website is crap and doesn't have the products listed if i'm not mistaken. Will check out Dugdale Eco.

xizenta

Reaction score
Checked it out, ain't find what I want. Dugdale Luxury Lambswool was closer. Still open to fuzzy partial cashmere bunches. 😀

Here's a pair of pictures of the last casual jacket I ordered from Pastena. It's Fox Tweed.

Attachments

• IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_4961.jpg
    IMG_4961.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

Dark Star

Reaction score
I am finally getting around to figuring out what to do with the last meters of the original Scabal Shetland, which I bought from “sartorial notes” back when it was still Grunwald True Style. I’ve given the sage green barleycorn to A&S and have no picture yet and may do the same with this one.

Attachments

• D87D6F62-9244-4C2D-ADA8-A11925CA1BD7.png
    D87D6F62-9244-4C2D-ADA8-A11925CA1BD7.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 440

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads