• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with Bukle Fabrics? I bought a length of 70% wool 30%cashmere jersey (by Loro Piana) from them but my tailor said it's very plasticky

Baked Potato

Reaction score
While looking through different fabric books for overcoats, I got shown a Japanese dead stock fabric from around the 1940’s at around 900g (100% alpaca, although not the hairy kind, looked like a regular thicker woolen fabric). Perhaps a bit of dumb question as I can’t show you the exact fabric, how’s usually the quality of such fabrics, compared to modern fabrics?

Last edited:

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While looking through different fabric books for overcoats, I got shown a Japanese dead stock fabric from around the 1940’s at around 900g (100% alpaca, although not the hairy kind, looked like a regular thicker woolen fabric). Perhaps a bit of dumb question as I can’t show you the exact fabric, not how’s usually the quality of such fabrics, compared to modern fabrics?

Terrible. Please refer me to the source of this fabric so I can take it off the poor owner's hands. I would hate them to be burdened by such a thing.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Terrible. Please refer me to the source of this fabric so I can take it off the poor owner's hands. I would hate them to be burdened by such a thing.
Haha, I guess I’d be rather stupid if I made a coat in that fabric? Very stupid, right?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Put it in the freezer for a few weeks first. If there are eggs left over, you don't want to find out next year.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I guess I’d be rather stupid if I made a coat in that fabric? Very stupid, right?

In all seriousness, it would certainly be an oversimplification to say that vintage fabrics are better, but generally I find them sturdier and better made. Depends on the mill, fiber etc but a 900g alpaca overcoating sounds amazing. Among vintage cloths, exotic fibers are probably where you will see the greatest decline in quality in modern versions vs vintage since these fibers have become so in demand in recent decades.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
In all seriousness, it would certainly be an oversimplification to say that vintage fabrics are better, but generally I find them sturdier and better made. Depends on the mill, fiber etc but a 900g alpaca overcoating sounds amazing. Among vintage cloths, exotic fibers are probably where you will see the greatest decline in quality in modern versions vs vintage since these fibers have become so in demand in recent decades.
I guess that the lower price of a vintage fabric doesn’t really equal lower quality? It was rather cheap compared to modern fabrics.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
While looking through different fabric books for overcoats, I got shown a Japanese dead stock fabric from around the 1940’s at around 900g (100% alpaca, although not the hairy kind, looked like a regular thicker woolen fabric). Perhaps a bit of dumb question as I can’t show you the exact fabric, how’s usually the quality of such fabrics, compared to modern fabrics?
Pics or it didn't happen

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among vintage cloths, exotic fibers are probably where you will see the greatest decline in quality in modern versions vs vintage since these fibers have become so in demand in recent decades.

i have wondered about this , for example i've had vintage vicuna in the past and i suspect the modern product is better .

otoh with cashmere i would think the opposite is true , but i don't regard camel or alpaca as exotic

Baked Potato

Reaction score
In the meantime, what's the color/weave/pattern?
They had about four different colours, if I remember correctly. The one I primarily looked at was a brown one.

Stupid enough as I am, I forgot to take a real photo of it. I took a photo of another fabric and the sample of the dead stock one was lying next to it. So here you go, possibly one of the worst low quality photos you'll see from me. The brown one to the right! It looks a bit lighter becuasee of the room lightning. I might be able to get back to you with better photos tomorrow.

Also, is there anyway I could determine the quality of the fabric? It's a bit on the stiffer side, which isn't a surprise considering its weight. Also (as mentioned earlier), it doesn't look like most alpaca fabrics that tend to look very "hairy".
IMG_6587.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads