• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you find any differences between Brisa and the Bard? I have clicked through the book and they appear to be the exact same to me. Same weight, same weave, same finish.
Have you found The Bard book available online anywhere by chance?

Free Style

Reaction score
New unfunded liabilities from Maison Hellard. Very soft linen to the touch. After trying out heavy Irish linens, I wanted to get something different for a blazer, and I find the patterns and colours of their bunch to be quite nice
8567A51E-8E4C-4E80-8737-492154E00D10.jpeg

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
New unfunded liabilities from Maison Hellard. Very soft linen to the touch. After trying out heavy Irish linens, I wanted to get something different for a blazer, and I find the patterns and colours of their bunch to be quite nice
View attachment 1861651
Lovely PoW right there. What's their weight and may I ask where you bought them?

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Hey, :)

Got a recommendation in the overcoat thread to check in here. Do you guys have any recommendations for heavy fabrics suitable for an overcoat to be used during Swedish winters? Not to be used in the nothern country side really, in that case a parka would probably be more suitable. So something that is warm enough to be used in the city.

I'm going with my local MtM place (they use Munro), so perhaps a fabric that they can source. I want something heavy and most fabrics they showed me last time were around 500g, so something heavier than that perhaps. The design I'm thinking of is a raglan coat with flapped patch pockets (although I'm unsure of the raglan sleeve itself, I might go with a regular sleeve, but keep the rest of the design, no belt though whatever sleeve I'll choose). I'm thinking navy in colour, but perhaps some very discreete pattern won't hurt? I'm not that keen on donegal though.

Fad P

Reaction score

Got a recommendation in the overcoat thread to check in here. Do you guys have any recommendations for heavy fabrics suitable for an overcoat to be used during Swedish winters? Not to be used in the nothern country side really, in that case a parka would probably be more suitable. So something that is warm enough to be used in the city.

I'm going with my local MtM place (they use Munro), so perhaps a fabric that they can source. I want something heavy and most fabrics they showed me last time were around 500g, so something heavier than that perhaps. The design I'm thinking of is a raglan coat with flapped patch pockets (although I'm unsure of the raglan sleeve itself, I might go with a regular sleeve, but keep the rest of the design, no belt though whatever sleeve I'll choose). I'm thinking navy in colour, but perhaps some very discreete pattern won't hurt? I'm not that keen on donegal though.

Maybe check with Fox? I have a coat in (a now discontinued) wool that takes me through the winters in Stockholm. It’s bullet proof and probably around 900g.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Maybe check with Fox? I have a coat in (a now discontinued) wool that takes me through the winters in Stockholm. It’s bullet proof and probably around 900g.

Thanks for your reply! Is is Fox Flannel you're thinking of? Did you order your coat through an MtM service, or did you source the fabric yourself? Don't know if it's possible to use your own fabric when going the MtM route, as you might be able to do when going bespoke.

Fad P

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! Is is Fox Flannel you're thinking of? Did you order your coat through an MtM service, or did you source the fabric yourself? Don't know if it's possible to use your own fabric when going the MtM route, as you might be able to do when going bespoke.

Yes, Fox Flannel. You can order both samples and fabrics directly from their site if needed.

It depends on the MTM service I guess. Saman Amel would do it for example.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the go-to blazer cloth that isn’t a mockleno these days. I’m looking at Fox midnight hopsack but wondering if there’s anything else out there that people prefer.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lovely PoW right there. What's their weight and may I ask where you bought them?
Not the OP but have some experience with MH. Their book is available online to browse but last I checked they’ll only sell to people in the trade so you’ll need to have your tailor order them. Nathan is super responsive via email. The patterns are 360gsm and have a very soft hand. The solids are a bit more crisp - Sort of between an Irish and Italian linen and a hair lighter at 330 grams.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah I'd be looking at these Fox vintage military reproduction patterns:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the go-to blazer cloth that isn’t a mockleno these days. I’m looking at Fox midnight hopsack but wondering if there’s anything else out there that people prefer.

Just ordered a length of the Taylor and Lodge archive blazer in a dark navy hopsack and am pretty pleased with it, has some heft to it and a nice texture

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd be looking at these Fox vintage military reproduction patterns:

agreed, I have a 30oz USN pea coat and that thing has held up against a tough Maine winter

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How heavy do you want to go?
Not sure how to answer that. 300-400g?

I already have a summer Mockleno in 510243, which is 280/310 and a bright navy. I'm looking for something heavier and darker in color for year-round use that is more conservative.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads