• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lapel width would conventionally support some extravagance, but the buttoning point means they are truncated and whilst wide their overall area is insufficient. The cuffs are forgivable, but it’s the depth of the pocket flaps rather than their angle that stands out as lacking proportionality.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do y'all have particular books you seek out for Cav Twills?
Looking at W. Bill, Standeven, and various Dugdales. Preferences amongst those books?
Horribly impractical, but would be fascinating to try Dugdale's "Keeper Tweed' as a pair of trousers.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at W. Bill, Standeven, and various Dugdales. Preferences amongst those books?
Horribly impractical, but would be fascinating to try Dugdale's "Keeper Tweed' as a pair of trousers.
Holland & Sherry Dakota bunch. Got a 13oz cav twill and it's been a good performer, nice colours there as well.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
linens? I also have a pair of LP trousers in “summertime” or something like that which are super light and cool on hot days
I really enjoy wool/linen blends for hot days. Leave out the silk.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s all in the name: QUCT

fabricateurialist

Reaction score
Has anyone experience with Standeven's Explorer bunch ? specifically the "heavier" 10oz 27034 et al

I have a few Zegna High Performance ones, but am I'm looking for a high twist cloth that's not as light as 8oz, got some Fox Air samples in the mail but that wasn't it - so hit me with suggestions/pros and cons of other mills

thank you all in advance

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why leave out the silk?
Add a bit of sheen that I don’t want in trousers. And also adds a bit of warmth. When DWW replicated a raw silk suiting, he left out all silk. Seems a bit incongruous but it worked.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experience with Standeven's Explorer bunch ? specifically the "heavier" 10oz 27034 et al

I have a few Zegna High Performance ones, but am I'm looking for a high twist cloth that's not as light as 8oz, got some Fox Air samples in the mail but that wasn't it - so hit me with suggestions/pros and cons of other mills

thank you all in advance
I have a suit in the light gray 11oz (27030) and it's a fantastic fabric. But it's pretty coarse, which takes a little getting used to. Drapes well and is very wrinkle resistant and breathable.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score

thank you all in advance

Just out of curiosity, what is it that you didn’t like about the Foxair?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holland & Sherry Dakota bunch. Got a 13oz cav twill and it's been a good performer, nice colours there as well.
Have heard good things, but likely going to opt for the beefier stuff. Will inquire when I go get sized up.
It’s all in the name: QUCT
For better or worse, pants are not what comes to mind when I say that aloud :rotflmao:
That said, what is the weight of those? I want to say I recall them in the ~15oz range.
What book is the current worsted middleweight/heavyweight champ?
I was going to say Harrison's P&B, but I guess that one fell by the wayside. I recall someone (was it @JHWilliams ?) touting Dugdale's Fearnought book.
There is an open subscription now for London Lounge QUCT in light khaki. I have a pair in Pearl grey and they are one of the nicest cavalry twill trousers I have ever had made up.
Is the process still the same (read: arduous) getting an account set up at LL? I had one once upon a time, but I guess it fell off when they changed servers or whatever it was Michael did with the update.

Marshak

Reaction score
What book is the current worsted middleweight/heavyweight champ?

Answering for the heavyweight worsted range, since the offering is very limited in this area and the current trend is dominated by effeminate midweight cloths.

Dugdale's Fearnought is trendy: old fashioned sturdy cloth at 18 Oz/500 gr/m. Colors lack a bit of depth. I have a suit in the dark navy herringbone I'm very fond of.

Harrison's P&B: same beast with deeper colors but insane prices (my tailor was quoted 160 euros/m).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads