• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it might be helpful to list some information about how wish to use the dinner jacket.

For example: climate (tropical vs 4 seasons), season(spring/summer vs fall/winter), and formality(casual vs formal).

This may help to narrow down your potential recommendations as there are an array of cloth options.

Of course, should have mentioned this, thanks for prompt. Formal, maximizing seasons, though probably tending towards warmer seasons. Four season climate. I can't imagine moving tropical at this point!

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, should have mentioned this, thanks for prompt. Formal, maximizing seasons, though probably tending towards warmer seasons. Four season climate. I can't imagine moving tropical at this point!

I will definitely defer to guys like @Andy57 and @The Chai. They are definitely more experienced in this regard.

A couple of cloth selections that do interest me as “wild cards” are a dark/midnight blue sharkskin (55521) and black hopsack suiting (55541) HFW/Hardy Minnis QZ/QZ2 340g super 150 all wool. Excellent feel and body. Doesn’t feel like a super 150 in terms of delicacy and fine texture. This cloth has balls. Also, the hopsack has a fine texture like a barathea. This bunch is hands down the best suiting cloth in the 320-370g range that I have ever put my hands on. It isn’t talked about that much on this thread but it is absolutely incredible cloth. If you can, try to get your hands on it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the major mills have formal bunches. I have used Dormeuil and Harrison's. And, of course, a couple of my dinner jackets are London Lounge mohair.

Most events (even the ones you create yourself) where you would wear a dinner jacket are indoors, so seasonality is not really a major consideration. Rather, fineness of cloth is. I recommend a fine barathea in whatever color you want your dinner jacket to be.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd probably go for a 10oz kid mohair blend or a 12 13 oz wool mohair. Barathea for a first dinner jacket if you want something for four seasons. I would trend towards a lighter fabric due to the fact most black tie events are indoor and you can always put an overcoat when leaving the venue. I prefer midnight over black but that's my personal preference.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All the major mills have formal bunches. I have used Dormeuil and Harrison's. And, of course, a couple of my dinner jackets are London Lounge mohair.

Most events (even the ones you create yourself) where you would wear a dinner jacket are indoors, so seasonality is not really a major consideration. Rather, fineness of cloth is. I recommend a fine barathea in whatever color you want your dinner jacket to be.

I'd probably go for a 10oz kid mohair blend or a 12 13 oz wool mohair. Barathea for a first dinner jacket if you want something for four seasons. I would trend towards a lighter fabric due to the fact most black tie events are indoor and you can always put an overcoat when leaving the venue. I prefer midnight over black but that's my personal preference.

Thanks, this is really helpful!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, dinner jacket fabrics settled. Thanks!

New question

Summer cloths in solid green. This is a hard color to get right. I think tending towards olive is safer, but olive does not jive with my skin tone. An olive that is towards a darker green, less yellow, would be good but must stop short, I feel, of looking like a conifer shade. I think less saturated seems right for summer, and with texture or visual interest of certain mixes.

Would be open to patterns but inclined towards a solid.

wsl or a textured linen seems right. What fabrics have you used that you like?

JHWilliams

Reaction score

New question

Summer cloths in solid green. This is a hard color to get right. I think tending towards olive is safer, but olive does not jive with my skin tone. An olive that is towards a darker green, less yellow, would be good but must stop short, I feel, of looking like a conifer shade. I think less saturated seems right for summer, and with texture or visual interest of certain mixes.

Steven Hitchcock highly recommended Smith Woolens midnight barathea. I have commissioned a dinner suit recently and looking forward to my second fitting. The cloth is lightweight, crisp, drapes well, and is extremely comfortable. HRH Prince Charles commissioned a dinner suit from Steven in the exact same cloth. I have attached a photo.

Attachments

• 66241116-C4D4-4E41-B22E-7F0DBADDD599.jpeg
    66241116-C4D4-4E41-B22E-7F0DBADDD599.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

New question

Do those green solid seersuckers do anything for you?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Steven Hitchcock highly recommended Smith Woolens midnight barathea. I have commissioned a dinner suit recently and looking forward to my second fitting. The cloth is lightweight, crisp, drapes well, and is extremely comfortable. HRH Prince Charles commissioned a dinner suit from Steven in the exact same cloth. I have attached a photo.

That looks very nice.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Smiths has a nice book, which includes a lot of mohair blends. Now that Lesser's book seems to have been retired, that may be the best option from that conglomerate.

Another option, if you are going to be pushing out the boat, is Escorial. They have an (expensive) 11oz barathea that is really lovely. Not terribly porous, but should hold through most seasons. Also, their fibers are allegedly really springy, so good at shedding wrinkles.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

New question

camez_

Reaction score
Smiths has a nice book, which includes a lot of mohair blends. Now that Lesser's book seems to have been retired, that may be the best option from that conglomerate.

Another option, if you are going to be pushing out the boat, is Escorial. They have an (expensive) 11oz barathea that is really lovely. Not terribly porous, but should hold through most seasons. Also, their fibers are allegedly really springy, so good at shedding wrinkles.

draper's has a dark green hopsack
it's great

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For a dinner suit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads