• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swiss Army TuxSuit.
Screenshot_20220702-080231_Facebook.jpg

Genius idea!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
🤮🤮

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, so you can roll straight from a wedding to a funeral? Seriously, who needs a peak lapel *black* suit?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, so you can roll straight from a wedding to a funeral? Seriously, who needs a peak lapel *black* suit?
I gather they still wear something quite similar to a morning suit/directors suit in japan which has all the standard fittings of a morning suit but with the tails replaced with a black 1b peak lapel lounge suit

Angel91

Reaction score
Hello guys! I’ve got a question and I don’t know where to post it. I figured this would be the best one since it involves cloth.
So, I bought this jacket from an only thrift shop. It was advertised as Solaro and, not having touched it before, I don’t know how to identify it. I’ve been looking online but there’s no information in that regard. The jacket has that inner red coloring, but there’s something about it that makes me doubt it’s actually Solaro. Not that it matters, really, the cloth is lovely, but I’d like to know it just for the sake of it.
What do you think?

Attachments

• 47743494-8C92-4F01-8820-95203D836CF6.png
    47743494-8C92-4F01-8820-95203D836CF6.png
    896.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 3108400E-9D8B-4B7C-A6EA-024634D939BB.png
    3108400E-9D8B-4B7C-A6EA-024634D939BB.png
    1 MB · Views: 158

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello guys! I’ve got a question and I don’t know where to post it. I figured this would be the best one since it involves cloth.
So, I bought this jacket from an only thrift shop. It was advertised as Solaro and, not having touched it before, I don’t know how to identify it. I’ve been looking online but there’s no information in that regard. The jacket has that inner red coloring, but there’s something about it that makes me doubt it’s actually Solaro. Not that it matters, really, the cloth is lovely, but I’d like to know it just for the sake of it.
What do you think?
That looks like Solaro, although b/c of small variation in colors it might not be from the original Smiths recipe. Fawn/brown dominating the top and red underneath is the usual fingerprint.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That certainly looks like no Smith solaro that I have ever seen but it may be from a different mill. Smith came out with a very interesting green/blue version that I commissioned a few years ago. Great stuff for shoulder season.

tomsocal

Reaction score
Yes, but most people here are not paying the tailor's price, and many are based in the US. I believe that European cloth is cheaper for people in Europe, and more expensive abroad. And then, if you have to go through an agent, you can expect to pay more money.

IMO, this is why the baseline expectation on this thread is skewed. People assume that cloth will be something like HFW prices (roughy $100/ meter), but it's commonly a lot more (closer to $200/ meter).

Bit late but can confirm, I'm now ordering a length of Dakota 9518506 from a merchant in Warsaw and it's $160/meter but with quite an expensive shipping the total for 1.2m is $235 (which is still $20 less than 4-ply Ascot directly from Drappers). I do have to pay VAT though since the cloth is staying with my tailor in Poland.

krudsma

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what this weave is? It looks and feels like oxford from afar but up close it appears to be something else.

1657141819698.png

1657141865682.png

xizenta

Reaction score
Does anyone here have a recommendation or a go-to tailor to do CMT suits from a provided exemplar by mail? I do not have a local tailor I want to use but I have about five bolts of suiting I would like made up. Ideally I could send my favorite jacket by mail with the suiting and get back something similar.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 69 36.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 72 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 33 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads