• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you looking for something in a year round weight? What is your climate?

Fox Air is sturdy as Hell, but is extremely scratchy on the legs. I wouldn’t be able to wear it.
I'm currently in upstate New York, looking to move to northern Virginia in the next year or so. I suppose I'm looking for something that I can handle most days of the year, but sturdiness and drape are more important to me than being able to wear it comfortably on a hot summer day.

I have two suits in Fox Air, while it certaly not soft and smooth like flannel, I never notice while wearing it, it’s perfectly comfortable to me. Note, trousers are half lined to the knee. It is definitely sturdy, holds a crease well, and stays relatively cool on all but the hottest days.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone identify this fabric?

Fox Tweed maybe?

View attachment 1795655
I think it's this one. I saw it at the trunkshow.
I can ask to confirm for you if you'd like.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new here, getting my first ever bespoke suit started with Frank Shattuck. He thought I should take a look at Fox Air or Standeven Explorer. I'm liking the look of the Standeven 27031 DARK GREY PLAIN (11oz / 310gms), but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has thoughts about the fabric?

This would basically be my only suit (for now). I don't need a suit for work, but I'd be wearing it for my brother's wedding, maybe for a job interview, and whenever I can find an excuse (weddings, date nights, symphony concerts, etc.).
I'm awaiting a suit in the light gray 11oz Explorer (27030) that should be ready this weekend. From what I've felt so far it's a super resilient fabric and drapes beautifully. I'll report back after wearing the final product.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new here, getting my first ever bespoke suit started with Frank Shattuck. He thought I should take a look at Fox Air or Standeven Explorer. I'm liking the look of the Standeven 27031 DARK GREY PLAIN (11oz / 310gms), but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has thoughts about the fabric?

This would basically be my only suit (for now). I don't need a suit for work, but I'd be wearing it for my brother's wedding, maybe for a job interview, and whenever I can find an excuse (weddings, date nights, symphony concerts, etc.).

Fox Air drapes much better than Standeven Explorer. See if you can find Dormeuil Tonik Wool. It's similar in weight and drape to Fox Air but a bit less scratchy.

Lovat Bard is a lot warmer to use compared to the above and had some pilling issues with it. At that weight, I'd try out Drapers Ascot 4 ply. Much smoother, more airy and none of the pilling issues that came with Bard. The Scots are great with tweed but less so with warm weather cloths.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Fox Air drapes much better than Standeven Explorer. See if you can find Dormeuil Tonik Wool. It's similar in weight and drape to Fox Air but a bit less scratchy.

Lovat Bard is a lot warmer to use compared to the above and had some pilling issues with it. At that weight, I'd try out Drapers Ascot 4 ply. Much smoother, more airy and none of the pilling issues that came with Bard. The Scots are great with tweed but less so with warm weather cloths.

I think it’s time for another run of Rangoon!!! Perhaps a plain weave navy or medium grey!!!

Marshak

Reaction score
Gents, welcoming tips for the following;

1. Mid-grey woolen flannel suiting, around 350-400 grams (aside from the obvious ones i.e. Fox, VBC etc.)

2. Navy wool (hopsack or similar) for a sports coat, around 300-350 grams, hard wearing/ solid wrinkle resistance.

Many thanks

I ordered a 3 patched sport coat in the BlueFeel dark navy hopsack from Drago. It's crispy, dry, very airy, heavily textured and it has some technical values as being stain and liquid repellent.

Screenshot_20220517-211517__01.jpg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you looking for something in a year round weight? What is your climate?

Fox Air is sturdy as Hell, but is extremely scratchy on the legs. I wouldn’t be able to wear it.
Line the front of the trousers.

LittleDab

Reaction score
I'm awaiting a suit in the light gray 11oz Explorer (27030) that should be ready this weekend. From what I've felt so far it's a super resilient fabric and drapes beautifully. I'll report back after wearing the final product.
Oh that's great! I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Line the front of the trousers.

I usually do. I have the heaviest fresco in the bunch for a two piece suit. It wears like iron, but I hate wearing it. Bespoke commissions should be a pleasure to wear, in my opinion. I tip my hat to anyone with legs of steel who can tolerate the fox air or traditional scratchy fresco.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The 15oz Fresco takes some getting used to. But the 9-10 when lined is a very different animal, as rustic as it can look relative to fine tropical worsteds.

Polo Collar

Reaction score
I ordered a 3 patched sport coat in the BlueFeel dark navy hopsack from Drago. It's crispy, dry, very airy, heavily textured and it has some technical values as being stain and liquid repellent.
IMG_0258.jpg

Ordered a jacket in Drago Bluefeel this year as well, with triple patch pocket and swelled edges.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads