• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Gents, welcoming tips for the following;

1. Mid-grey woolen flannel suiting, around 350-400 grams (aside from the obvious ones i.e. Fox, VBC etc.)

2. Navy wool (hopsack or similar) for a sports coat, around 300-350 grams, hard wearing/ solid wrinkle resistance.

Many thanks

I too am looking for a nice 300g navy hopsack, and was looking at Fox Sport

20220416_175656.jpg

Carl@

Reaction score

Carl@

Reaction score
I too am looking for a nice 300g navy hopsack, and was looking at Fox Sport

View attachment 1795078
The fabric looks nice in the picture you have posted.
Is it that one, sir ?

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Fresco in Light Stone - 510222
View attachment 1795072
2. Drapers Ascot 4 ply in Cream - 18049
View attachment 1795073
3. Dugdale's NFW - 8965
I don't think I'd have the stones to go full cream for odd trews for quite some time (greys and light tan need to be built out far more), but dang those are sexy.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I'd have the stones to go full cream for odd trews for quite some time (greys and light tan need to be built out far more), but dang those are sexy.

I have the dugdale nfw 8965. I have two separate cuts. One for a jacket and one for a pair of trousers. I plan on using the cloth for a tropical Dj and an occasional suit. I think I might scrap the suit idea altogether. I have to be real with myself. I’m hard on my clothes and light colored pants have never stood a chance with me. I think it would be a waist of money to have the pants made.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. Mock Leno is casual and thus makes up as a great blazer or informal jacket. But look elsewhere if you seek more formality. I have one in mind but can’t remember the name. As I used it when I had Steed do the Vox Swiss Army Suit for me, I’ll check my records tomorrow.
I was thinking of Harrisons Fronier. Less texture thus more refined than a mock leno.

LittleDab

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new here, getting my first ever bespoke suit started with Frank Shattuck. He thought I should take a look at Fox Air or Standeven Explorer. I'm liking the look of the Standeven 27031 DARK GREY PLAIN (11oz / 310gms), but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has thoughts about the fabric?

This would basically be my only suit (for now). I don't need a suit for work, but I'd be wearing it for my brother's wedding, maybe for a job interview, and whenever I can find an excuse (weddings, date nights, symphony concerts, etc.).

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new here, getting my first ever bespoke suit started with Frank Shattuck. He thought I should take a look at Fox Air or Standeven Explorer. I'm liking the look of the Standeven 27031 DARK GREY PLAIN (11oz / 310gms), but I'd be curious to hear if anyone has thoughts about the fabric?

This would basically be my only suit (for now). I don't need a suit for work, but I'd be wearing it for my brother's wedding, maybe for a job interview, and whenever I can find an excuse (weddings, date nights, symphony concerts, etc.).

Frank is very particular about the fabric he works on, he prefers 'old world' heavier/sturdier fabric. If he recommends it I wouldn't want to be the guy to insist upon something else.

That being said, Fox Bros and Standeven have good reputations and I would be happy to try a suit in one of those fabrics...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah-- Frank sometimes turns up his nose at decent stuff, but what does make it through the filter tends to be good. If it is what you think you would like, you probably will.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

Are you looking for something in a year round weight? What is your climate?

Fox Air is sturdy as Hell, but is extremely scratchy on the legs. I wouldn’t be able to wear it.

LittleDab

Reaction score
Are you looking for something in a year round weight? What is your climate?

Fox Air is sturdy as Hell, but is extremely scratchy on the legs. I wouldn’t be able to wear it.

I'm currently in upstate New York, looking to move to northern Virginia in the next year or so. I suppose I'm looking for something that I can handle most days of the year, but sturdiness and drape are more important to me than being able to wear it comfortably on a hot summer day.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in upstate New York, looking to move to northern Virginia in the next year or so. I suppose I'm looking for something that I can handle most days of the year, but sturdiness and drape are more important to me than being able to wear it comfortably on a hot summer day.

Maybe check out Lovat Bard 3-ply high twist, its similar to Drapers Ascot and Finmeresco. Would be good for hot and humid VA

I think that Lovat is a mill that Frank typically works with…

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads