• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seam ripper (and patience) it is.

Didn’t know if there was a secret like snip at one end and the rest just pulls out

I think it may depend on how the basting and where the basting is tied. For some of my jackets, I just need one or two snips, and the thread removes on either end. For others, one end just disappears under the fabric after I've cut most of the length.

Megakurth

Reaction score
I think it may depend on how the basting and where the basting is tied. For some of my jackets, I just need one or two snips, and the thread removes on either end. For others, one end just disappears under the fabric after I've cut most of the length.
Is there a functional reason as to why makers will leave the shoulder basting in when shipping to a customer? I’ve had one jacket with and another without on more than one occasion by more than one maker. More curious than anything.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a functional reason as to why makers will leave the shoulder basting in when shipping to a customer? I’ve had one jacket with and another without on more than one occasion by more than one maker. More curious than anything.
My guess - maybe some notion about "authenticity" (whatever that may mean). Perhaps it's about - to quote a polarizing figure here - "quality, craftsmanship, and tradition..."

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next wave of projects to get done.

Funded this one as a suit and am super pumped.
E8884C95-9122-4BE7-8885-A431B6010C85.jpeg

Debating this 4-ply as a suit
7C050046-8A4F-4454-8E13-0AAD71EC3A3A.jpeg

And am debating which of these to do as a jacket or just saying F it and getting both. I love the depth of the colors on the Maison Hellard but wonder if the caccioppoli is the more versatile of the two. I rarely wear sport coats other than my navy hopsack and stick to suits so that isn’t terribly concerning but getting “enough” wear out of would be nice.
2EB64A5A-679B-47AC-8E75-2199B810510E.jpeg
E8704CBD-FB35-4002-A7E7-F67C341C7381.jpeg

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic question.

Just received an MTM commission. (Sartoria Carrara via NMWA) and the piece has the shoulder basting threads still in. Is there an easy method of removal of these shoulder seam basting threads?

Did you supply your own cloth?

garigo

Reaction score
I've been invited to a wedding in northern Italy in September, and I am planning to commission my first navy suit from Jean Manuel Moreau in Paris. Ideally I would like something in a mid-weight fabric that I can wear for most occasions, except in the warmest and coldest days of the year. What are some recommendations for this purpose?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been invited to a wedding in northern Italy in September, and I am planning to commission my first navy suit from Jean Manuel Moreau in Paris. Ideally I would like something in a mid-weight fabric that I can wear for most occasions, except in the warmest and coldest days of the year. What are some recommendations for this purpose?
Drapers 4-ply. Specifically 18060 in the Ascot bunch.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a couple of fabric books recommendations, all are mid-weight:

Holland and Sherry - Cape Horn
Smith Woollens - Finmeresco (high twist)
Smith Wollens - Botany
Harrisons - Oyster

Drapers - Ascot (high twist, has some crossover with Finmeresco)
Drapers - Five Stars
VBC - 110s Perennial
Fox Bros - Fox City

Noirkw

Reaction score
Slightly off topic question.

Just received an MTM commission. (Sartoria Carrara via NMWA) and the piece has the shoulder basting threads still in. Is there an easy method of removal of these shoulder seam basting threads?

Any pics of the commission? I'm looking to try 1 as well

garigo

Reaction score
Drapers 4-ply. Specifically 18060 in the Ascot bunch.
a couple of fabric books recommendations, all are mid-weight:

Holland and Sherry - Cape Horn
Smith Woollens - Finmeresco (high twist)
Smith Wollens - Botany
Harrisons - Oyster

Drapers - Ascot (high twist, has some crossover with Finmeresco)
Drapers - Five Stars
VBC - 110s Perennial
Fox Bros - Fox City
Thanks a lot, those sound like great recommendations! Of course I'll also listen to what JMM suggests, but that Drapers reference in particular seems really interesting.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, those sound like great recommendations! Of course I'll also listen to what JMM suggests, but that Drapers reference in particular seems really interesting.

Drapers stuff is great, have a suit in the 5-star and 2-pairs of trousers in the 4-ply Ascot

Also have a suit in the Finmeresco 4-ply too

If they have both books (Ascot and Finmeresco), do a side by side of the navy shades you are interested in...I'm of the strong opinion that they are virtually identical but have a slightly different price point

FlowableFill

Reaction score
The next wave of projects to get done.

Funded this one as a suit and am super pumped.
View attachment 1792251
Debating this 4-ply as a suit
View attachment 1792252
And am debating which of these to do as a jacket or just saying F it and getting both. I love the depth of the colors on the Maison Hellard but wonder if the caccioppoli is the more versatile of the two. I rarely wear sport coats other than my navy hopsack and stick to suits so that isn’t terribly concerning but getting “enough” wear out of would be nice.
View attachment 1792253 View attachment 1792254
What's the configuration on the seersucker suit?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the configuration on the seersucker suit?
Neapolitan maker, 1/4 lined, 3R2, spalla, barchetta, patch pockets, 10.5cm lapels, 3B on sleeve, navy MOP buttons, slightly lower gorge and slightly more open quarters. 1 reverse pleat with side adjusters and cut for braces, 4.5cm turn ups, 20cm leg opening for trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads