• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Buggy lined, self lined, zero lining or moste (Neapolitan tailor-speak dialect). Typically used on summer garments.

See I thought buggy lining only applies when you're talking about *lining material*.

What I'm talking about here is basically another whole layer of the same cloth that makes up the outer part of the coat being used for the lining – thereby making the coat *heavier* rather than lighter (as with normal buggy lining).

Like, that raglan overcoat is SUPER heavy because the cloth is essentially doubled up for much of the body of the coat.

zr3rs

Reaction score
See I thought buggy lining only applies when you're talking about *lining material*.

What I'm talking about here is basically another whole layer of the same cloth that makes up the outer part of the coat being used for the lining – thereby making the coat *heavier* rather than lighter (as with normal buggy lining).

Like, that raglan overcoat is SUPER heavy because the cloth is essentially doubled up for much of the body of the coat.
It is actually not that much heavier, because most of the inside material would also be there in a lined garment, except the part behind the inside pockets. Typically, the inside facing extends to the middle of the inside pockets. With the heavy cloth, you can also reduce the padding over the breast canvas.
However, many do this style also for the beauty of it, because it is much more work for the tailor to neatly finish all the seams.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
It is actually not that much heavier, because most of the inside material would also be there in a lined garment, except the part behind the inside pockets. Typically, the inside facing extends to the middle of the inside pockets. With the heavy cloth, you can also reduce the padding over the breast canvas.
However, many do this style also for the beauty of it, because it is much more work for the tailor to neatly finish all the seams.

Thank you – very helpful.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might not be the best thread for this question, but what is it called when the cloth facings sort of extend to become the lining itself, as in these photos?

View attachment 1744799

View attachment 1744800

And what are the pros cons of that method – specifically regarding overcoats? Could it be a way to make a heavier/warmer coat out of an otherwise lighter cloth?

There is usually only that much self facing on unlined garments. A less aggressive version of this that is usually lined would just have the cloth extend into where the pockets are placed. Thats sometimes called French facing.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Random question for all of the cloth enthusiast in the USA and abroad…

In regards to wearing tailored clothing, what is your favorite city/cities/metropolitan area(s)?

Furthermore, what city/metro do you feel has the most ideal climate that enables one to take full advantage of a seasonally diverse wardrobe?

bjhofkin

Reaction score

In regards to wearing tailored clothing, what is your favorite city/cities/metropolitan area(s)? New York, and it's not even close. Lots of seasonality, lots of walking, lots of exciting places to go. People still dress up there. Can't even think of second place, frankly.

Furthermore, what city/metro do you feel has the most ideal climate that enables one to take full advantage of a seasonally diverse wardrobe? My home city of Minneapolis! Has all the extremes a person could ever want…?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In regards to wearing tailored clothing, what is your favorite city/cities/metropolitan area(s)?

Furthermore, what city/metro do you feel has the most ideal climate that enables one to take full advantage of a seasonally diverse wardrobe?

I like dressing up when visiting Charleston, SC and New York. Also take a sports coat with me when traveling abroad.

Residents here in DC don't have an appreciation for dress but the weather is perfect for wearing tailored clothing 3 seasons out of the year. Once the summer hits tailored clothing becomes unbearable.

tamimasa

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2022-01-29 at 5.26.15 AM.png

Thoughts on the fabric? Wool/silk/linen blend if the memory serves me right.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 379 gram (13.36oz) linen for a sportcoat. I love my thick linens, all my jackets are 340-350g linens (some Irish linen 340gs seem sturdier and thicker than 350g ones).

Anyone have experience with such a thick linen? Any concerns? Thanks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking of getting a 379 gram (13.36oz) linen for a sportcoat. I love my thick linens, all my jackets are 340-350g linens (some Irish linen 340gs seem sturdier and thicker than 350g ones).

Anyone have experience with such a thick linen? Any concerns? Thanks.

I have a suit made from W BIll Irish linen (380gm). I like it. Not sure if there's anything to say about it besides that it rumples more than it wrinkles and its' more densely woven than the Italian linen stuff. I like the suit so much that I'm currently getting another W BIll linen suit in a different color.

View attachment 1745248

Thoughts on the fabric? Wool/silk/linen blend if the memory serves me right.

I find that blue fabrics with a hint of purple are hard to wear. I would choose a different fabric.

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
I have a suit made from W BIll Irish linen (380gm). I like it. Not sure if there's anything to say about it besides that it rumples more than it wrinkles and its' more densely woven than the Italian linen stuff. I like the suit so much that I'm currently getting another W BIll linen suit in a different color.

Thanks, Derek. That sounds fantastic. I assume that the weight never feels too overbearing/too much? (I'd assume not, since it's just a 10% difference compared to a 350g linen...)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks, Derek. That sounds fantastic. I assume that the weight never feels too overbearing/too much? (I'd assume not, since it's just a 10% difference compared to a 350g linen...)

I can't imagine someone noticing a difference in 30 grams. If you're OK with 350g linen, I assume you should be fine in 380g.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cotton or cotton linen blend cloth for white or ivory trousers that isn't see through?

How does the Brisbane Moss 10oz perform?

Should I stick to denim for this part of my wardrobe?
I purchased this one from Sultans Fine Fabrics and although it doesn’t keep a crease much didn’t seem as heavy as it weighs (15oz). Pretty bretheable and not very see through.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a heavy weight(13oz+) serge? The only serge in that weight that I have found so far are from H&S Gostwyck Trilogy and Bateman and Ogden Apollo.
Although I like the samples of Apollo and Gostwyck Trilogy, I am curious of other options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics