• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon A

Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

What does everyone like for cold weather trousers?

Woolen-spun cloth is the go. 500 g woolen flannels are great. Also some Lovat cheviot tweeds in the 500-600 g range in windowpanes or herringbones (LL cheviots or Kirkton). Match with some wooly over-the-calf socks and you're in business.

Marshak

Reaction score
So winter has hit hard where I am at. It's a bit too cold even for 18 oz. P&B Universal trousers. P&B has some 20oz. that I might have made up. I was also looking at some 18oz to 20oz fabrics in HFW Alsport and P&H Calvary Twills.

What does everyone like for cold weather trousers?

Heavy flannel! Cavalry twill has no warmness despite high weight.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to purchase that Loro Piana wool / silk seersucker? My tailor can't access, unfortunately...
Bumping this unanswered question in case anyone has ideas. Same question, same problem.. US based, tailor based in Naples.

corpseposeur

Reaction score
Woolen-spun cloth is the go. 500 g woolen flannels are great. Also some Lovat cheviot tweeds in the 500-600 g range in windowpanes or herringbones (LL cheviots or Kirkton). Match with some wooly over-the-calf socks and you're in business.

Thanks. I never thought to consider Lovat for trousers, but I think they'd work well. I'll ask my tailor about these. I'd probably have them fully lined as well.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get the ones with the harder finish. Don't shrink from heavy weight-- I have a London Lounge 3-pc in about 22oz that is quite nice when churches feel like meat lockers.

Last edited:

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I was hoping to purchase some of this cloth, but it states that it isn’t suitable for trousers “due to weight and heavily milled finish”

That doesn’t make much sense to me.
any idea as to why?

Attachments

• 159B2BDE-B054-46EA-AD6E-46A2E54A8F82.jpeg
    159B2BDE-B054-46EA-AD6E-46A2E54A8F82.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I was hoping to purchase some of this cloth, but it states that it isn’t suitable for trousers “due to weight and heavily milled finish”

That doesn’t make much sense to me.
any idea as to why?

Don't know why it doesn't make sense to you (just kidding).
My understanding is that the finish of the cloth is so heavily milled that it won't wear well as trousers. The weight may not be problem but the intensity of the weave/finish of the cloth yes. Therefore this cloth is intended only for jacketing.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this unanswered question in case anyone has ideas. Same question, same problem.. US based, tailor based in Naples.

I find it very unusual that your Naples based tailor is unable to open an account with Loro Piana. If they'll give me an account here in the states, I cant imagine why your guy cant get one. Trying to source it yourself in the US will be much more expensive than if your guy can get it from LP.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Don't know why it doesn't make sense to you (just kidding).
My understanding is that the finish of the cloth is so heavily milled that it won't wear well as trousers. The weight may not be problem but the intensity of the weave/finish of the cloth yes. Therefore this cloth is intended only for jacketing.

I find my Minnis flannels to be heavily milled and they drape beautifully. What would the difference be with this cloth

ladislav.jancik

Reaction score
I find my Minnis flannels to be heavily milled and they drape beautifully. What would the difference be with this cloth
Hard to say, I have any experience neither with Minnis flannel nor with this Fox cloth. What I know is that jacketing cloth in this weight and milled finish drapes beautifully, but it usually doesn't hold its shape very well when it is used for trousers. You will get baggy knees faster for example, trousers will require pressing more often and quite possibly they will wear out faster in friction areas. I like the cloth and I wanted to buy it for the pair of trousers in the past as well, but I changed my mind after reading the description. I believe Fox Brothers knows their stuff so I follow their suggestions when I cannot examine the cloth personally.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fox puts that note on some of their heavy flannels, but not all. I have a suit from the 18oz flannels they made for LL/Alden, and it holds up beautifully.

You can ask them directly, but I'm guessing that density and firmness of finish have to do with it as much as weight and quality of fibers.

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, classicalthunde and Markus.

Markus, do you find that the high amount of silk renders your jacket not as breathable? Breathability is a big concern for me. Thanks.

The breathability is pretty good. If you hold the jacket against the sunlight it is quite a see through fabric. The weave is not as open as an Fresco but still breathable. You can not compare it to a dense woven silk usually used for a pocket square.

Like I said before, I would order a silk jacket right away.

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to purchase that Loro Piana wool / silk seersucker? My tailor can't access, unfortunately...

Send me a message. Maybe I can help you out.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
This might not be the best thread for this question, but what is it called when the cloth facings sort of extend to become the lining itself, as in these photos?

0.jpeg

15107961625_c82433a64b_o.jpg

And what are the pros cons of that method – specifically regarding overcoats? Could it be a way to make a heavier/warmer coat out of an otherwise lighter cloth?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might not be the best thread for this question, but what is it called when the cloth facings sort of extend to become the lining itself, as in these photos?

View attachment 1744799

View attachment 1744800

And what are the pros cons of that method – specifically regarding overcoats? Could it be a way to make a heavier/warmer coat out of an otherwise lighter cloth?

Buggy lined, self lined, zero lining or moste (Neapolitan tailor-speak dialect). Typically used on summer garments.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads