• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bjhofkin

Reaction score
Not something within your chosen Ulster territory, but one may use a double-sided overcoating cloth for a double-face balmacaan overcoat.

Otherwise, you just use the internal color in lieu of lining.

Best,

Dimitris

Very interesting – especially considering a bespoke Balmacaan from Caid is the other coat I'm planning at the moment…

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple informational questions Re double-sided overcoating cloths:

- Apart from the optionality of using one side or the other, are there any *other* perks/uses of a double-sided cloth?

- So long as both colors are either dark or light, are there any *downsides* of a double-sided cloth (other than forcing one to have to make a tough decision)?
I’ve been thinking of something like this:
E8403578-51CC-4E0C-B07D-9B04A86512B4.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not something within your chosen Ulster territory, but one may use a double-sided overcoating cloth for a double-face balmacaan overcoat.

Otherwise, you just use the internal color in lieu of lining.

Best,

Dimitris
I’ve been thinking of something like this:
View attachment 1737665

Don't think you need a double-faced cloth for that, and if you used one, no one would know that it's double-faced. The inside and outside of a coat are made from separate pieces of cloth, which are then folded over on the edge and stitched together.

I don't know the answer to @bjhofkin's original question. I've also sometimes wondered why mills don't weave a double-faced cloth more often. If it doesn't change the set-up time, then presumably they can sell through a bolt quicker.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't think you need a double-faced cloth for that, and if you used one, no one would know that it's double-faced. The inside and outside of a coat are made from separate pieces of cloth, which are then folded over on the edge and stitched together.

I don't know the answer to @bjhofkin's original question. I've also sometimes wondered why mills don't weave a double-faced cloth more often. If it doesn't change the set-up time, then presumably they can sell through a bolt quicker.
Probably not necessary but certainly a better option. Why stitch two pieces together on the seams when you can use one integrated piece?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably not necessary but certainly a better option. Why stitch two pieces together on the seams when you can use one integrated piece?

I think you need something to hide the structure inside. Otherwise, the fabric will drape like a cape.

Perhaps @Despos can clarify and answer @bjhofkin's original question (what are the upsides and downsides of using a double-faced cloth).

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Don't think you need a double-faced cloth for that, and if you used one, no one would know that it's double-faced.

I really do not understand your first remark. So, you are saying that one can create a double-face garment without using a double-face cloth?

Us, as end customers we do not need to care about any "separate pieces of cloth folded over..." notion, as - in CMT cases - all we do is buy the whatever double-faced cloth of our liking! Nothing more, nothing less.

About your second remark,..., who cares? One would end up having two distinct garments from one piece of cloth, one tailor's commission, and a single cost!

Best,

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Ermenegildo Zegna RTW wool-blended double-faced raglan coat; this is actually a raincoat, but the basic design of a raglan balmacaan overcoat is practically the same:

1642330456993.png

1642330495818.png

1642330524645.png

Best,

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
And two very nice double-face WO-WS overcoating fabric options, not suitable for quasi-arctic conditions:

1642331080835.png

1642331114972.png

Best,

Dimitris

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really do not understand your first remark. So, you are saying that one can create a double-face garment without using a double-face cloth?

Us, as end customers we do not need to care about any "separate pieces of cloth folded over..." notion, as - in CMT cases - all we do is buy the whatever double-faced cloth of our liking! Nothing more, nothing less.

About your second remark,..., who cares? One would end up having two distinct garments from one piece of cloth, one tailor's commission, and a single cost!

Best,

Dimitris

When you look at your coats, the inside and outside of the lapels (or the front edge, if your coat doesn't have lapels) are made from separate pieces of cloth. This is what people pinch when they do the "pinch test."

In the photo you posted, that coat is made from two pieces of material. I don't think you would be able to create that design if that was a double-faced fabric. It may be that the coat is made with double-faced fabrics, but no one would know.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
anyone have experience with these 19/20 ounce cloths from P & B Universal?

I am strongly considering three double breasted suit commissions.

Any experience with drape, cloth handle?

Attachments

• E1B6F9DC-4DE8-4DA4-B0D5-451EC1D30A11.jpeg
    E1B6F9DC-4DE8-4DA4-B0D5-451EC1D30A11.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 37
  • 38C0F440-D40B-427A-9B56-3313EE64C92D.jpeg
    38C0F440-D40B-427A-9B56-3313EE64C92D.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 387461DA-D454-4C72-BC48-C3BB1E5DCB7F.jpeg
    387461DA-D454-4C72-BC48-C3BB1E5DCB7F.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 80

corpseposeur

Reaction score

I have a pair of trousers in P&B Universal. I think the fabric I have is 18oz. It's a great cloth, feels bulletproof and very substantial and warm in the colder months. It drapes very well, no shine whatsoever, and my trousers have kept a great line after about a year of use. It's exactly what one expects for a robust heavyweight British cloth.

However I would say they're probably best suited for colder weather.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those things would outlive you, in all likelihood. I’ve seen the lighter weight stuff made up, and they are hardcore in their own right. I’d expect the heavier weight feels like armor.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a cotton or cotton linen blend cloth for white or ivory trousers that isn't see through?

How does the Brisbane Moss 10oz perform?

Should I stick to denim for this part of my wardrobe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads