• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And Minnis, and several others. Dormeuil (Very expensive, perhaps for no reason)?

I recently located a dark blue sharkskin suit that was made over 20 years ago and barely worn. I think it came before business school, and between different locales, different jobs, and changes (ahem!) in size, I never got around to wearing it. Probably Golden Bale, and gorgeous! In my UK closet now, in case I find reasons to dress up in London without going as far as black tie.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Amazed at how difficult it is to find densely woven linen in the right weight (12/13oz) and in this color. Have looked at Spence Bryson, W. Bill, Minnis, and Mersolair. Just ordered swatches from Dugdale and Baird McNutt. Have I missed any other merchants or mills? Want something that has only the slightest touch of butter, like Alejandro Rey here:

gettyimages-179360677-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-769106065-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-980694196-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-769105865-2048x2048.jpeg

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amazed at how difficult it is to find densely woven linen in the right weight (12/13oz) and in this color. Have looked at Spence Bryson, W. Bill, Minnis, and Mersolair. Just ordered swatches from Dugdale and Baird McNutt. Have I missed any other merchants or mills? Want something that has only the slightest touch of butter, like Alejandro Rey here:

View attachment 1715395 View attachment 1715394 View attachment 1715399 View attachment 1715396

Try Caccioppoli also. They have Irish linen and I find they understand colours better than English merchants.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1715395 View attachment 1715394 View attachment 1715399 View attachment 1715396
Solbiati art du lin?

ZMEH

Reaction score

Hey Derek,

Perhaps the Oyster colour in Spence Bryson's Tropical in case you missed it? It appears light beige on their website but IRL it's the "yellowest" white linen I've seen amongst the usual suspect mills. Pictured middle one in between White and Light Grey. Hope this helps!

IMG_1945.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try Caccioppoli also. They have Irish linen and I find they understand colours better than English merchants.
Solbiati art du lin?
Hey Derek,

Perhaps the Oyster colour in Spence Bryson's Tropical in case you missed it? It appears light beige on their website but IRL it's the "yellowest" white linen I've seen amongst the usual suspect mills. Pictured middle one in between White and Light Grey. Hope this helps!

View attachment 1715522

Thanks, everyone! All of these are promising leads.

I must have missed that tropical linen from Spence Bryson. Do you know how to order a swatch of that in the United States?

Wren

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone! All of these are promising leads.

I must have missed that tropical linen from Spence Bryson. Do you know how to order a swatch of that in the United States?

The one from art du lin is not as yellow, more like whipped cream than thickened cream :-D, even though it's still a nice colour.

Let us know when you find the right colour!

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried them for trousers? I've always found Italian linens too soft and trousers bag after some use.
I haven't. I saw this video from the Armoury and the cloth seemed nice, so I put it on my list. I'll definitely get a swatch of it before I pull the trigger. The Armoury made a suit out of it and they said it turned out good fwiw.

ZRH1

Reaction score
Have you tried them for trousers? I've always found Italian linens too soft and trousers bag after some use.

yes, I confirm. Definitely too light.

EDIT: this seems to be heavier than the W. Bill stuff as it is over 400gr. Am I wrong?

Last edited:

Wren

Reaction score
yes, I confirm. Definitely too light.

EDIT: this seems to be heavier than the W. Bill stuff as it is over 400gr. Am I wrong?

I think it is heavier. I saw a fellow customer in a pair of trousers made from the art du lin. It hangs very well. But it doesn't feel as robust as W.Bill despite the weight, so it's difficult to tell its durability.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a dress shirt made with a raglan shoulder? Curious to test it out

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a suit in the Art du Lin. Have only worn it a few times, so can’t speak to bagging/durability thoughts, but the above is mostly correct. It is objectively heavy, but FEELS a good deal softer than the Irish ones of similar/slightly lighter weight. If Minnis/W Bill can be considered crisp, the Solbiati is probably best described as fluid.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know Marzoni is not the best of fabrics but I have used it in the past and my garments seem as durable with it as with anybody else. I am funding a new project and they have a pattern that I like. Does anybody have any strong opinions about their wool or wool blends?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads