• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a brown suit and I'm between the two Standeven fabrics below. Wondering if I can get some feedback: do you prefer the darker brown with subtle mottling or the lighter brown with more mottling?

View attachment 1711555 View attachment 1711556

The lighter brown as a suit

I'd go dark brown, I prefer the subtle mottling and think if you're gonna go for a brown suit you should dive all in. I think the lighter shade seems like too much of a hedge between brown and tan. I also find the more pronounced grid pattern of the mottling to be kind of distracting.

alan see brown suit.jpg

Glenn Au brown suit.jpg

mark cho brown suit.jpg

Brown suit 3.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That looks great @emptym Dense navy boucle would be my travel fabric of choice: stretchy but unlike jersey it wouldn’t catch on everything…or maybe I’m kidding myself…

Actually, this would be a great option: @DavidLane and I noticed this Drapers fabric that is 100% wool, a good middle weight (330g), has a loose weave, wrinkle resistant, has a really pronounced twill, is naturally super stretchy/springy, isn’t shiny, is made in England…and ridiculously expensive. Like $350/m.

We’re wondering who the mill is; hopefully we can find it cheaper. It’s pretty much the perfect travel blazer cloth.

View attachment 1710880 View attachment 1710881

@UrbanComposition @DavidLane

W Bill Shetlands fit some of your descriptors: midweight, loose weave, slightly stretchy, pure wool, wrinkle-resistant, very matte finish. If you hold it up to the light, you can see through it, like your photo. I don't have swatches of the twills, but I have swatches of their other fabrics. May be worth contacting Kempt and Hewitt to see if they can send you swatches of the twill. I assume the cloth is less than $350/ meter

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That looks great @emptym Dense navy boucle would be my travel fabric of choice: stretchy but unlike jersey it wouldn’t catch on everything…or maybe I’m kidding myself…

Actually, this would be a great option: @DavidLane and I noticed this Drapers fabric that is 100% wool, a good middle weight (330g), has a loose weave, wrinkle resistant, has a really pronounced twill, is naturally super stretchy/springy, isn’t shiny, is made in England…and ridiculously expensive. Like $350/m.

We’re wondering who the mill is; hopefully we can find it cheaper. It’s pretty much the perfect travel blazer cloth.

View attachment 1710880 View attachment 1710881

350 $ ????? :eek:
On the Drapers site it says 112,00 €.

I have a Drapers price list here with me but unfortunately that cloth is missing. But guessing from all the other cloth prices it will cost a tailor less than the mentioned 112 € here in Europe. Write me a PM if I should send someone a few meters at net cost. :cool:

TC11201

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the source of the image is WW Chan Shanghai or HK? If Shanghai, I can pop in and ask the manager.
Pretty sure that’s HK. It’s the same background and set up they used when they put a piece they made for me on their Insta account. And I’ve only ever been a customer of the HK operation. Someone could email Patrick / the main email address and ask - they’re quite responsive.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
350 $ ????? :eek:
On the Drapers site it says 112,00 €.

I have a Drapers price list here with me but unfortunately that cloth is missing. But guessing from all the other cloth prices it will cost a tailor less than the mentioned 112 € here in Europe. Write me a PM if I should send someone a few meters at net cost. :cool:
Whoops! I misspoke; I meant to say it’s $350 for 2.5m, which is actually quite reasonable. Sorry for the poor translation @DavidLane

TC11201

Reaction score
It would be really useful if we knew the actual width of the lapel; I have the impression, however, that this is an overcoating fabric, which makes it a no-go for me if this is a SC (the image is cropped so we cannot tell).

Cheers,

Dimitris
If it helps/is still relevant, this is the H&S fabric (or at least the current version of it) from Chan-made SC. The lapels are 4.25” according to Chan (although that’s apparently from memory as the piece was made 3 yrs ago).

1638283507754.jpeg

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
If it helps/is still relevant, this is the H&S fabric (or at least the current version of it) from Chan-made SC. The lapels are 4.25” according to Chan (although that’s apparently from memory as the piece was made 3 yrs ago).

View attachment 1712335

Well, indeed I do not know if this is still relevant, but it sure is helpful, and your contribution should be acknowledged Sir!

As far as my comment (the one that you quoted) is concerned, it had nothing to do with the H&S fabric used by WWChan (you may just go one page back & check), but to the Fox fabric posted by our fellow @undertheskin, as it was that particular herringbone that we had no information as to its width; the one of the H&S is crystal clear: what the company cites in its own page!

Best,

Dimitris

Marshak

Reaction score
Funded this vintage Arthur Harrison worsted flannel in a dark navy tone. I made a pair of trousers in the version currently produced by Taylor and Lodge under the same brand and love it. Stiff and resilient with an iron drape.

PA270082-350x263.jpg

Last edited:

Wren

Reaction score
Thinking about getting a brown suit and I'm between the two Standeven fabrics below. Wondering if I can get some feedback: do you prefer the darker brown with subtle mottling or the lighter brown with more mottling?

View attachment 1711555 View attachment 1711556

The lighter brown as a suit

I like the lighter one. It makes a fun suit. I think this is the heritage twist book (sorry if I missed you mentioning it)? There is a houndstooth of a similar colourway in the same book that makes an interesting suit too.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any recommendations for a mid-weight (10-13oz) mid-grey sharkskin cloth? I'm open to both wool or a wool-mohair mix but want to avoid it being too shiny for a work setting...

looking for something along the lines of this:
bond midgrey.jpg

midgrey.JPG

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody, would appreciate some advice on this cloth. Does it look like a fresco weave to you?
For context, it’s a wool/silk blend…

63E08140-D018-4CC2-ACD9-9465570A41AA.png

C3B8BF50-C44E-4B5C-9602-4146BCDF1A79.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fresco is a branded name for a type of tropical wool. If you hold the fabric up to the light, you can see how much light pours through. This will tell you if the fabric has an open weave.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any recommendations for a mid-weight (10-13oz) mid-grey sharkskin cloth? I'm open to both wool or a wool-mohair mix but want to avoid it being too shiny for a work setting...

Grey sharkskin is my favorite suiting fabric. I've had it made up in various shades from Lesser Golden Bale, Lesser 13 oz, and Drapers (Arrival, I think?). They were all great. It would really come down to the color, I went with Golden Bale the one time not because of any perceived quality difference but because it came in the exact light grey I was looking for. I'm sure Harrisons has a bunch among their books too, in various weights.

WhereNext

Reaction score

looking for something along the lines of this:
View attachment 1713540

View attachment 1713541

I got a couple of swatches recently from H&S in grey sharkskin that I quite liked (had a hard time choosing) from their Target, Intercity, and Cape Horn books that would all fall in your description of weight and look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads