• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Very helpful.

The short of it is yes...perhaps even more drape than regular fresco or most mohair blends. The only fabric I have encountered which surpasses this is the 3 ply halstead mohair.

I would get the fresco mohair fully lined...it can be scratchy as hell

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had been thinking of having a jacket made up in this style that @UrbanComposition just posted. Cucinelli makes a similar one that had been the original inspiration.

Trying to decide on fabrics to grab some swatches from and wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on a wool/cashmere blend or brushed jersey fabric that might have some stretch to it.

I do a fair number of one day trips for work so I’m envisioning a completely unstructured jacket I can kind of ball up on flights and then pull out and can bounce between looking like a sweater/jacket on days when all I fly with is my briefcase.

I have had Hitchcock do a few in that style, but with four buttons in front and not five. That means it is basically a 3-button with a high waist, that can easily be turned into a closed coat. Good use for a tweed, and meshes very well aesthetically with his softer shoulders, etc.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a brown suit and I'm between the two Standeven fabrics below. Wondering if I can get some feedback: do you prefer the darker brown with subtle mottling or the lighter brown with more mottling?

IMG_8949.JPG
IMG_8960.JPG

The lighter brown as a suit

Last edited:

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say the lighter one. I think the darker one would end up in "neither fish nor foul" territory and not get much wear. The lighter one seems like a great casual suit fabric with lots of character--like something that Camoshita would make up.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. I had to make a similar choice but in shades of grey (no pun intended). The lighter shade (grey in my case, brown here) should result in a distinctive but tasteful garment. The darker version would be just another suit, without much personality.

I'd say the lighter one. I think the darker one would end up in "neither fish nor foul" territory and not get much wear. The lighter one seems like a great casual suit fabric with lots of character--like something that Camoshita would make up.

diokanye

Reaction score
Had been thinking of having a jacket made up in this style that @UrbanComposition just posted. Cucinelli makes a similar one that had been the original inspiration.

Trying to decide on fabrics to grab some swatches from and wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on a wool/cashmere blend or brushed jersey fabric that might have some stretch to it.

I do a fair number of one day trips for work so I’m envisioning a completely unstructured jacket I can kind of ball up on flights and then pull out and can bounce between looking like a sweater/jacket on days when all I fly with is my briefcase.

This is one of our most iconic styles and Brunello always talks about it more as a cardigan than a jacket. Different iterations exist but I love these two cause theyre very relaxed and can be easily worn over knitwear etc. I dont really see it as a proper jacket, I think its best over t shirt or knitwear.

btw that foto you sent must be pretty old cause we have increased the proportions (also across all jackets and trousers btw)
1638179855481.png

1638179869065.png

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Can I get recommendations for a black/white or grey herringbone tweed jacketing? I am looking something quite spongy, medium weight and with quite a wide and clear herringbone so that it doesn’t resolve too immediately to mid-grey.

Something like this:

B66F4DA7-4194-42F0-820E-3EFA20E15DFA.jpeg

And not like this:
F464C6CB-FA23-412D-84D7-166572EB8AD3.jpeg

Have seen Sherry Tweed 8818029 mentioned but it looks a bit too ‘mid-grey’:

65AC3608-CAA1-40F8-A132-DF5B12A2E232.jpeg

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Product: 520154

Can I get recommendations for a black/white or grey herringbone tweed jacketing? I am looking something quite spongy, medium weight and with quite a wide and clear herringbone so that it doesn’t resolve too immediately to mid-grey.

Something like this:

View attachment 1711726

And not like this:
View attachment 1711727

View attachment 1711732

Aloysius16

Reaction score
This is Molloy Donegal 0702/7 which looks to dodge the mid-grey issue better than the Harris equivalent . Probably a bit too scratchy though.

BB9ACC31-A66F-495E-934E-AF55D69031BE.png

undertheskin

Reaction score

Something like this:

And not like this:

let me suggest kenneth mackenzie:
fabric is about 400g and feels really nice.
contrast isn't that stark but it still doesn't appear washed out or something (contrast IRL is just a bit higher than the picture from their homepage shows)
i was looking for something similar in weight and size to the LL brown shetland herringbone and this comes rather close.
i also had a look at wbill, h&s, hfwltd harris tweeds, moon among others and nothing else was as nice as the mackenzie.
will have it made up after my LL jacket is finished.
:)

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Aloysius16,

The Holland & Sherry fabric that you posted above does not satisfy your own criterion of a wide herringbone: they used to cite in their site that the width of the herringbone in this particular line "Sherry Tweed" is 5/8 inch, thus quite slim.

I am not for scratchiness or for coat-weight jackets, should you wish to contemplate an urban mid-weight jacketing fabric, I do have a pointer.

Best,

Dimitris

Marshak

Reaction score

Something like this:

View attachment 1711726

And not like this:
View attachment 1711727

View attachment 1711732

The Sherry Tweed has a larger scale and is softer than an Harris Tweed (and lighter). On the heavy side, Fox has a the same large herringbone pattern in black and white (a bit darker than the H&S) in its Tweed collection (500 gr).

The first pic is from WWChan isn't it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads