• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a standard navy summer suiting cloth circa 300g.

I usually go for high twist open weave but lately I find them kinda scratchy.

Are there other options that are less scratchy but similarly breathable? Open to other high twist or tropical worsted.

Does anyone have experience with Dormeuil’s Tonik Wool? It’s a newish high twist open weave bunch circa 300g.

Last edited:

WhereNext

Reaction score

Are there other options that are less scratchy but similarly breathable? Open to other high twist or tropical worsted.

Does anyone have experience with Dormeuil’s Tonik Wool? It’s a newish high twist open weave bunch circa 300g.

Perhaps you've already tried these, but Fox has a couple of high twist/open weave fabrics on the go right now (City, Journey, Tropical Worsted, Golden Fox which is only about 250g) that might fit the bill. I have a quarter lined jacket in the Tropical Worsted that is quite open and the right weight; I find it to be softer and less scratchy than my Fresco stuff. The City swatches I've gotten also feel less scratchy than Fresco, but I haven't had anything made up in it.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I was about to put Fox out there. I am traveling right now, so I don't recall which books other than City I had some samples come in from, but they all seemed reasonable in feel

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harrison's Frontier is a good fall-back for 10oz suits.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Harrison's Spring Ram is my new favorite. It's a bit heavier but quite open and wears about as cool as any of the usual suspects but drapes and resists wrinkles better.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone use Dugdale Tropicalair? Wondering how it compares to Minnis Fresco.

I have the Dugdale book and I would put it on par with Minnis. I do not have anything made up in it (Tropicalair) but seems stout based on the swatches. Still a bit crunchy and scratchy like the Minnis.
568B5C66-CC7C-47AA-B627-5466E1880485.jpeg

-DL

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harrison's Spring Ram is my new favorite. It's a bit heavier but quite open and wears about as cool as any of the usual suspects but drapes and resists wrinkles better.
Pretty awesome, if that is what you need. Would make a fantasic 3-season business suit. Drapes well enough to last the day, and breathes well enough for overheated conference rooms.

ZRH1

Reaction score

same here, heavier than Fresco but drapes exceptionally well.

Noirkw

Reaction score

I live in the tropics and here are my tropical / high twist options

Dormeuil : Tropical Amadeus. Wont go wrong
VBC : 21 micron / 4 ply - very open and breathable. Not very scratchy. 21 micron tropical is ~280g while the 4 ply is 410g. Both works
Minnis : Fresco Light / Fresco Select - I have the 2 ply and the heavyweight 3 ply. Both works
H&S : Airesco 3-ply - good weight and not very scratchy
Harrisons : SW Finmeresco - superb. not as scratchy

There's a new range of 4-ply from MB's ponte vecchio bunch. Which is rebranded VBC. However, their 4 plys are not as scratchy. They have a hopsack range. Which is beautiful. You may want to take a look. https://www.merinobrothers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=168_566_657

Last edited:

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score

via Michael Browne. Fabric seems to have excellent texture. Almost like a high twist flannel
78C78883-2C61-4653-9E08-4EDDE930AB11.jpeg

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought you tried them all already:rotflmao:
How come you suddenly find them scratchy after that many years of use?:oops:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I live in the tropics and here are my tropical / high twist options

Dormeuil : Tropical Amadeus. Wont go wrong
VBC : 21 micron / 4 ply - very open and breathable. Not very scratchy. 21 micron tropical is ~280g while the 4 ply is 410g. Both works
Minnis : Fresco Light / Fresco Select - I have the 2 ply and the heavyweight 3 ply. Both works
H&S : Airesco 3-ply - good weight and not very scratchy
Harrisons : SW Finmeresco - superb. not as scratchy

There's a new range of 4-ply from MB's ponte vecchio bunch. Which is rebranded VBC. However, their 4 plys are not as scratchy. They have a hopsack range. Which is beautiful. You may want to take a look. https://www.merinobrothers.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=168_566_657
Just a note on the Finmeresco-- there are several qualities in that book. I started with the 4-ply, and while it isn't bad, it is a bit too spongy for what I'd want now. The 3-ply stands up quite well, and seems to have more of a skeleton, even if it is much more civilized than the 3-ply Fresco. I have one from WW Chan that is showing no real signs of age.

As a more recent addition, there is a 10-oz "high twist" subset in the book that looks like a very fine tropical but performs much better. If you want something really elegant for steamy weather, that would be my first stop.

Last edited:

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the price of the Finmeresco comparable to Hardy Minnis Fresco? By now, I know what to expect when ordering a suit with the latter but have never tried Finmeresco.

Just a note on the Finmeresco-- there are several qualities in that book. I started with the 4-ply, and while it isn't bad, it is a bit too spongy for what I'd want now. The 3-ply stands up quite well, and seems to have more of a skeleton, even if it is much more civilized than the 3-ply Fresco. I have one from WW Chan that is showing no real signs of age.

As a more recent addition, there is a 10-oz "high twist" subset in the book that looks like a very fine tropical but performs much better. If you want something really elegant for steamy weather, that would be my first stop.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Probably depends as much on local distribution channels as anything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads