• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can you please share your opinion on the teclana suit? Would you get another one?
Thank you,

-

My suit ended up being too lightweight for my taste (I think the cloth was around 8 or 9oz), so I ended getting rid of it. My experience with that cloth is probably more colored by the weight than the fiber. The poster above you is selling something different from what I owned, so this is not a comment on his sale.

I personally didn't find it to wear significantly cooler than high twist tropical wools, but I live in an area where the weather rarely gets above 85 degrees (and when it does, I just don't wear tailored clothing). It does have a slight sheen, however, so be aware.

Franco Ocarez

Reaction score
Does anyone know what kind of fabric this is?

3CE42227-B2F0-4F01-BBBD-C5607AC97160.jpeg

BDEA1D92-7788-4456-A7BF-BDD85D4BCFB8.jpeg

Attachments

• 300E7E56-2BDF-44F4-8BFB-AC5A4C204ED0.jpeg
    300E7E56-2BDF-44F4-8BFB-AC5A4C204ED0.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 5

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a hairline tweed that can be used for a suit?

I looked through Glorious Twelfth and Worsted Alsport 2. The top swatch is the right color (mid-brown), but has a light blue and purple overcheck. Not against overcheck, but would prefer more rustic colors. The second swatch, Worsted Alsport is a bit more yellow than I prefer.

IMG_0624.JPG

Hoping to find something like this. Will tells me these are from Worsted Alpsport and Glorious Twelfth, but they were woven so long ago, it seems the designs are now gone.

195780259_149128003903796_465439856314035072_n (1).jpg
141025953_919007425505847_6847759379003143137_n.jpg
52655732_2397118980307544_182610977980763542_n.jpg

Saw this from Fox, but it feels slightly more "modern." Curious if there are any other options

FA36_WalnutHairlinePlainWeave_FoxAir_1800x1800.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dugdale might have a few things like that. Not actual tweeds, but a bit more rustic than the usual worsteds.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My suit ended up being too lightweight for my taste (I think the cloth was around 8 or 9oz), so I ended getting rid of it. My experience with that cloth is probably more colored by the weight than the fiber. The poster above you is selling something different from what I owned, so this is not a comment on his sale.

I personally didn't find it to wear significantly cooler than high twist tropical wools, but I live in an area where the weather rarely gets above 85 degrees (and when it does, I just don't wear tailored clothing). It does have a slight sheen, however, so be aware.

Thank you

JHWilliams

Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for a hairline tweed that can be used for a suit?

I looked through Glorious Twelfth and Worsted Alsport 2. The top swatch is the right color (mid-brown), but has a light blue and purple overcheck. Not against overcheck, but would prefer more rustic colors. The second swatch, Worsted Alsport is a bit more yellow than I prefer.

View attachment 1647313

Hoping to find something like this. Will tells me these are from Worsted Alpsport and Glorious Twelfth, but they were woven so long ago, it seems the designs are now gone.

View attachment 1647316 View attachment 1647314 View attachment 1647317

Saw this from Fox, but it feels slightly more "modern." Curious if there are any other options

View attachment 1647320

I would take a look at heritage twist by standeven. I seem to remember some hairline cloths in the bunch

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would take a look at heritage twist by standeven. I seem to remember some hairline cloths in the bunch
That’s the book I was thinking of. Would like to try that cloth for myself.

Hoogstraten

Reaction score
Did they find the flaw before or after cutting the cloth? Did they try to cut around the flawed area?

Whoops, sorry! Did not see your reply!
Before, cutting around wasn't possible. They laid out the stencils as tight as possible, no wiggle room at all.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s the book I was thinking of. Would like to try that cloth for myself.
On here or LL, Shattuck slammed that book (IIRC-- don't take that to court).

My first glance at it, when it was under a different brand label, was a little unfavorable but mostly for the patterns, which seemed to be too much quasi-Reid &Taylor. I am coming around on that part, but I have no informed guess on its tailoring usefulness or durability.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My first glance at it, when it was under a different brand label, was a little unfavorable but mostly for the patterns, which seemed to be too much quasi-Reid &Taylor. I am coming around on that part, but I have no informed guess on its tailoring usefulness or durability.
The colors/patterns are quite retro/vintage. There are only two patterns I considered. One is a plaid and the other was an odd brown with a green stripe. Didn't jump on making one up because I don't have much interest in that look and cloth weight in my wardrobe. Still, those two resonate with me so I may do it at some point. Usually make a decision when I see the cloth I want is sold out!
Tailors have different, personal opinions of cloth. There are cloths he uses I wouldn't.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Good example of that. Many roads to paradise.

JHWilliams

Reaction score

Frank was the one who recommended HeritageTwist to me. Very few cloth merchants get his seal of approval

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No kidding? Sorry to have got that wrong. Dementia is creeping up on me. I'll poke around and see which one he was talking about.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
No kidding? Sorry to have got that wrong. Dementia is creeping up on me. I'll poke around and see which one he was talking about.

I respect and admire Frank for refusing to work with inferior cloth. He prefers the heavyweight champions, but gives his nod of approval to Fox Air and Dugdale Tropical Air for lightweight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads