• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JHWilliams

Reaction score
I meant cool in the Miles Davis stylistic sense of the word. However If I were a funeral director, I would absolutely have some black linen and fresco suits for summer even if they wouldn't necessarily be "cool" in the context I was referring to. If you must wear black, might as well be the most breathable material you can find.

Fresco is a faithful friend this time of year !!!

mactire

Reaction score
as a funeral director, I am forced to wear black almost year round. There is nothing cool about it. The sun absolutely bakes you. I should think linen may be a bit cooler, but not by a long shot.

That's funny, although where I'm from although you'd expect the funeral director to be sober, to wear black to a funeral could be seen as upstaging the mourners.

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been to Tip Top Fabrics in Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Brooklyn to be exact)? I live a short walk from Tip Top and have stopped in a number of times over the past year.
Now, I've only been in a few fabric stores prior to this and none devoted solely to apparel fabric; is it me or is this place a fabric Mecca? So. Much. Amazing. Fabric.
The owner is a also great resource for custom tailors in the area.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look back 10 years, there are many tales of NYC members making the pilgrimage to Tip Top. Some adored it, some were cautiously optimistic about finding needles in haystacks, and still others who hated the aforementioned members loved to insist that it was all dreck.

Of course, post-pandemic, who knows how much inventory and strategy have changed?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been interested lately in a camel polo coat again.

Anyone have a good value oriented cloth source for the quintessential "camel polo coat"?

I don't care for real camel hair or 100% cashmere, they're both too expensive for me. I've been spoiled by Marling & Evans' who don't charge much for the beautiful cloth you get. I paid around $75-100USD per metre when buying from them.

As long as the material has some durability and warmth and is the right colour.

My tailor doesn't carry many books, but he is open to taking outside cloth sources.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you look back 10 years, there are many tales of NYC members making the pilgrimage to Tip Top. Some adored it, some were cautiously optimistic about finding needles in haystacks, and still others who hated the aforementioned members loved to insist that it was all dreck.

Of course, post-pandemic, who knows how much inventory and strategy have changed?
All of the above is the correct answer

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here been to Tip Top Fabrics in Brooklyn (Greenpoint, Brooklyn to be exact)? I live a short walk from Tip Top and have stopped in a number of times over the past year.
Now, I've only been in a few fabric stores prior to this and none devoted solely to apparel fabric; is it me or is this place a fabric Mecca? So. Much. Amazing. Fabric.
The owner is a also great resource for custom tailors in the area.

I've not been since I moved out of Greenpoint a few years ago. To me, it's similar to a discount store in that there is a lot of meh and some truly exceptional needle in haystacks if you can find them. The best things there are the end of bolt deals, which can be terrific.

Perhaps another trip is in the cards. I do miss going to Lobster Joint...

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not been since I moved out of Greenpoint a few years ago. To me, it's similar to a discount store in that there is a lot of meh and some truly exceptional needle in haystacks if you can find them. The best things there are the end of bolt deals, which can be terrific.

Perhaps another trip is in the cards. I do miss going to Lobster Joint...
Wow, we must have differing taste/knowledge because I witnessed floor to ceiling gorgeous fabrics by the all the fabric houses that are mentioned with reverence on this thread. Check your cards to see what they reveal and get back to me. If you prove they're meh the lobster rolls are on me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a jacketing like this? This specific cloth is vintage, so I'm curious if there are modern alternatives.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a classic but slightly 70s styled jacketing? Ideally a tweed? I've combed through Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers' recent posts and didn't see anything I really wanted. Don't want the worst of couch-covering-styled 70s, but something with a hint of that era.

173417827_207615417830586_8581222072157997953_n.jpg

FlowableFill

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210725-141925_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-141931_Chrome.jpg

Something like this maybe? It's from the loro piana sopra visso book. There are a few more houndstooth fabrics in the book.

If you don't know, hall madden has a bunch of books from some major fabric producers on their website.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a jacketing like this? This specific cloth is vintage, so I'm curious if there are modern alternatives.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for a classic but slightly 70s styled jacketing? Ideally a tweed? I've combed through Lafayette Saltiel Drapiers' recent posts and didn't see anything I really wanted. Don't want the worst of couch-covering-styled 70s, but something with a hint of that era.

View attachment 1644144

Something a little different, but I thought of this swatch when I saw your post.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads