• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any ideas about fabric for a teba? Fox has had a few examples out there, and I took delivery on one in their midnight Fresco subsitute. I'm now talking to a London shirtmaker about making another, but haven't had much experience with these IRL.

Moving away from tropical worsted or linen, is there a successful solution for cooler weather? Gabardine? Hopsack? Worsted flannel? Any failures to record on this front?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any ideas about fabric for a teba? Fox has had a few examples out there, and I took delivery on one in their midnight Fresco subsitute. I'm now talking to a London shirtmaker about making another, but haven't had much experience with these IRL.

Moving away from tropical worsted or linen, is there a successful solution for cooler weather? Gabardine? Hopsack? Worsted flannel? Any failures to record on this front?

I've sorta stopped wearing the style. But when I did, I found that spongey tweed worked best. IMO, those shirt jacket things also work better when the coat has some kind of structure. Justo Gimeno makes theirs with a bit of fusing at the front and a very light shoulder pad. I think this helps create a better looking silhouette. But this may require factory production, rather than going through a tailor.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I shall take a harder look at the Gimeno when it comes back from alterations (the collar needed a little pulling down in the back). Somehow, I was only aware of lack of construction, but there is probably a reason that he's famous.

Noirkw

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for navy WSL hopsack. Saw the summer hopsack series from Ariston, but can’t seem to find the swatches online or at my tailors. Any other mills that I should take note of?

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for navy WSL hopsack. Saw the summer hopsack series from Ariston, but can’t seem to find the swatches online or at my tailors. Any other mills that I should take note of?

This isn’t a wsl but you may want to consider it..haven’t tried this out myself. However, this is bunch that I am highly interested in for a midnight navy hopsack single breasted blazer. More than likely i will order a couple of samples of both the midnight mesh and hopsack from this bunch.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 10/11oz whipcord from the Holland and Sherry “Dakota” book for trousers or suiting? Also, @Despos do you have any experience with tailoring the 10/11 oz Dakota whipcord? If so, can you elaborate on its tailoring qualities and it’s potential for suiting at that particular weight? It seems like a very intriguing prospect for suiting.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the 10/11oz whipcord from the Holland and Sherry “Dakota” book for trousers or suiting? Also, @Despos do you have any experience with tailoring the 10/11 oz Dakota whipcord? If so, can you elaborate on its tailoring qualities and it’s potential for suiting at that particular weight? It seems like a very intriguing prospect for suiting.

I have a couple of trousers in Dakota whipcord. Been thinking about using it for a suit.

Not sure what I can say about it besides the usual. It drapes well. This specific cloth has some nice mottling. I prefer it in the larger, more prominent twill (the smaller twill is nice too, but the larger twill looks sportier). My favorite fabric for trousers.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of trousers in Dakota whipcord. Been thinking about using it for a suit.

Not sure what I can say about it besides the usual. It drapes well. This specific cloth has some nice mottling. I prefer it in the larger, more prominent twill (the smaller twill is nice too, but the larger twill looks sportier). My favorite fabric for trousers.
If I’m not mistaken, I believe the larger more prominent twills are in the heavier weight whipcords. Also, the fabrics with beautiful motting effects are the earth tones and light/mid grays. More or less, I guess I was concerned about the lighter weight 10/11 oz being too much of compromise in terms of performance. Mainly because I usually see military twills in weights heavier than 370g.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA. Standeven does summer tweeds now in mohair blends I believe

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% summer kid mohair with midnight fermo forsatti satin facings funded!
20210716_172419.jpg
20210716_172409.jpg

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I threw some out because covid but in rotation. 5. I am waiting on my three piece with db waistcoat which is getting altered rn

How many black tie events do you normally attend during the course of a typical year (typical year non-pandemic)?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many black tie events do you normally attend during the course of a typical year (typical year non-pandemic)?
Proper proper black tie? Maybe 3-4 but u rarely get people turning up to black tie to those. Events with an excuse to wear black tie like opera or ballroom? Maybe 3 - 4 a month

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads