• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sensuki

Reaction score
The dark brown Dugdale 12oz Mock Leno is awesome (based on the swatch) if you can't get Smith's - really stood out for me from the other colors when I was flipping through the book last year.

I prefer the Smiths for Navy though

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dugdale brown mock leno is really nice, and very similar to the other mills'/merchants' mock leno cloths.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I’m curious what sort of factors play into your decision for sourcing cloth yourself vs. ordering it through your tailor?

is this for a potential future steed commission or someone else?

In this specific case, I'm trying to help a friend find some sport coat fabric. They're looking at Fox Air and I told them I'd have some swatches send their way. Thought I'd add Mock Leno so they have choices.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I sent an email to the US agent for Harrison's. Will see if they have that dark brown Smiths Mock Leno, and if I can get a swatch. If I'm not able to locate it, I'll let you know. Thanks again for your help.

Kent and Hewitt? If so, let me know if you get a response from them. I sent probably half a dozen emails this winter and didn't receive any responses...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this specific case, I'm trying to help a friend find some sport coat fabric. They're looking at Fox Air and I told them I'd have some swatches send their way. Thought I'd add Mock Leno so they have choices.

Derek, I might actually have the Dugdale book at home, I will check this afternoon. They were provided through a fabric merchant who's name I can't remember. Maybe Atlas.

-DL

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I didn't know that Dugdale offers mock leno. Do you happen to know if this has the same texture as the Minnis and Smith's versions? The swatch they show online looks smoother, but maybe it's just that they took a photo from further away.

Also, do you know how I can get a Dugdale swatch sent? Do you just contact Dugdale directly or do they have agents?
The dark brown Dugdale 12oz Mock Leno is awesome (based on the swatch) if you can't get Smith's - really stood out for me from the other colors when I was flipping through the book last year.

I prefer the Smiths for Navy though
109116D6-340E-4650-BDD2-DF64C444C164.jpeg

Yes I like it a lot

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is and heavy too but it’s has a very open weave. Most definitely dry but I like it more than my VBC wool/ mohair which feels a bit more delicate than this tank. @dieworkwear do It!!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harrisons Spring Ram has a few at the end that lean this general direction.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just recieved spier and Mackays new solaro suit. Their version is with a newly developed solaro version from drago. The red yarns shine through and provides a proper iridiscent effect.

I have not handled solaro earlier and I was surprised with just how iridiscent the fabric is.

Those of you who own solaro suits, when and how do you wear and pair them? I Wonder if a plain gabardine suit would be much more wearable...?
Gabardine is a bit more fragile. Harder to work, shows wrinkles faster, etc. But with its plainer colors, it draws less immediate attention to itself.
I have one Solaro suit that I haven't worn for a while. I'm still not quite in suit-wearing mode, and if I will be, it will be more summer weights for a while. I think the main idea is to avoid too much bling in the shirt and tie. Plain midnight grenadine is a good place to start. Even there, I would think more about afternoon weddings or Sunday brunch than a board meeting. But that is very dependent on your personal style.

rjkabk

Reaction score
So 2 questions.

1.My trusty solid Navy made to measure I got 12 years ago has finally worn out. While I could still wear it without embarrassing myself, it is clearly past its prime and in need of replacement. What do you all do with suits that worn out? Just throw them away?

2. I’m looking to replace it with a navy solid twill. I’m trying a new tailor out, and of the British Mills I like they only have access to Holland and Sherry. I’m considering 10-13 oz, so Target, Cape Horn, Intercity, and City of London books come to mind. I know the Cape Horn and Target have a little cashmere in the mix. Anyone have any recommendations based on those or other Holland and Sherry books for a solid navy? Thanks

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So 2 questions.

1.My trusty solid Navy made to measure I got 12 years ago has finally worn out. While I could still wear it without embarrassing myself, it is clearly past its prime and in need of replacement. What do you all do with suits that worn out? Just throw them away?

There are a few organizations where you can donate professional clothing. The clothes are given to low income people who are looking for jobs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads