• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right fellas, in lieu of traveling tailors on standby for the foreseeable future, I’m getting a bespoke DB suit done locally here in SF using Tailors Keep. Pretty sure it’s going to be the less- WBill linen, but was wondering if anyone has experience with both of these:

View attachment 1610340 View attachment 1610341

specifically, what is the difference between the two?

What’s the configuration of the jacket and the house style of tailors keep? Pictures?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the configuration of the jacket and the house style of tailors keep? Pictures?
I’d say it’s in line with current #menswear trends but Ryan (co-founder and head fitter) is pretty flexible. That said Ryan’s pics on their Instagram is a good representation of their house style.

I’ll probably opt for a slightly lower gorge and wider leg.

M Parenti

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend an alternative to the M&E 50/50 Wool/Linen Beige Hopsack?
View attachment 1608015

Unfortunately out of stock and won't be back in for a little while.
not sure if you're still looking but Drago's spring/summer jacketing bunch has the 60/40 linen/wool in a similar shade, maybe a bit too grey. The w/s/l from the same bunch is closer to this color.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, I ended up getting both the 17/18oz mottled taupe/off white linen Mersolair for SB and 12/13 brown linen W Bill for DB. Not sure if I’ll do one or both this year, but leaning towards the SB for this summer.

I take it you've been buying shares of Johnson & Johnson? Because you'll definitely need the shower to shower powder wearing 17 / 18 oz linen in the summer.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a white linen suit.

Kenji in his

View attachment 1610405

Mark says he got this as a suit but often just wears the jacket as a SC. He has a ton of videos on his IG of him wearing it in ways I think looks good. I was going to ask Mark for a swatch reference. His linen has a very slight hint of yellow that I like.

View attachment 1610406

I've also thought about getting a grey linen suit. Seems like it could potentially look very "modern." W. Bill has some nice options

View attachment 1610409

Alan has also posted some nice videos of his linen suits. If you like these, you can prob ask him for a fabric reference number.

Lots of good stuff here. I agree about the grey linen. I've always seen those flat grey swatches in the books and thought that would make a really interesting and versatile suit.

Alan's chocolate Liverano looks phenominal as well. Most of the chocolate swatches look too dark, while I usually find the tobaccos a bit too rich and warm. His looks like the perfect middle ground. He mentions it having faded, I wonder if that's how the chocolate tones go over time.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I take it you've been buying shares of Johnson & Johnson? Because you'll definitely need the shower to shower powder wearing 17 / 18 oz linen in the summer.

SF summers peak at the average DC high temp on April 28th, I reckon

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe @Andy57 had something made up from Wabi Sabi if I'm not mistaken...
You're not mistaken:
IMG_8243.jpeg

The weave of this LL Wabi-sabi is unlike anything I've seen elsewhere. It's not better or worse, just unique. It's a rather soft cloth and I feel it doesn't hold the crease as sharply as I might like. The overall impression is that it is a fairly casual cloth. It made up nicely, though, and I'm quite pleased with it.

Smarter_than_Casual

Reaction score
Hello!

I am fairly new here and have a question:
I recently saw this old Eidos Jacket in an IG Post from Aaron Benstead:

Aaron's WSL Eidos Jacket
another picture to show the colour...

I particularly liked the idea of a"beige" summer jacket that is grey enough to be worn with cream trousers as well. I would also like the idea of a summer suit in a similar colour. The Suit should split up well in to both an odd jacket and useful odd trousers. If possible I would like the jacket to be textured enough to be worn casually. I usually like quite heavyweight cloths.
To better illustrate the colour I am looking for here is a picture of the Rubato Fawn Sweater that is the precise shade I am looking for:

Fawn Rubato V Neck

I considered the following options:

Solbiati Time Off WSL 12031:

Good for the more casual side of things. My worry is that the colour might be a touch to brown and that the really lightweight cloth might not drape well enough, especially for trousers.

Light Grey Melange Fox Air:

Is an option, but could be a touch yellow from these pictures.Is also rather lightweight. Ordered a swatch from Fox to see in person. Any experiences with the drape and breathability of fox air?

and from Draper's/VBC Ascot:
https://drapersitaly.it/de-en/collection/18018/ (2-Ply)
--> probably closest in colour and the most textured, but fairly light

https://drapersitaly.it/de-en/collection/18054/ (4-Ply)
--> I have a navy suit in this and love it, but fear it might lack texture to easily work as anodd jacket.

https://drapersitaly.it/de-en/collection/18063/ (6-Ply)
--> Seems fantastic, but I dont know how it performs in summer. Is it breathable? Is it more or less textured than the 4ply?

I also requested some samples for these 3.

The last option I considered is the beige Pecora Nera from Loro Piana, but I dont really want a fine worsted trouser.
In the meantime I would be really thankful for all the insight or advice I can find here.

Does anyone here have any recommendationsor tips?

Thanks in advance

Johnny

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s generally in the 60s in San Francisco during the summer, and windy in the Marina, so it should be OK here. Florence is hellishly hot in the summer.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF summers peak at the average DC high temp on April 28th, I reckon
It’s generally in the 60s in San Francisco during the summer, and windy in the Marina, so it should be OK here. Florence is hellishly hot in the summer.

Must be nice, I usually burn up when I try to wear my 13 oz linen piece in the dead of summer. I've only had luck with an 8 oz linen jacket.

My vote is for some milk chocolatey goodness....

1621281231152.png

1621281241488.png

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More milk than chocolate, there. Not that it will help you in the DC summers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads