• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a winter wardrobe cannot be started better than with a medium grey flannel suit with extra trousers and a Tweed sportcoat (green or brown or a mix of).

Historically, flannel has also been worn as a jacketing only but cannot think of any outfit that wouldn't look better with a Tweed jacket instead.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Repeating my mantra. Make sure you like the combination of textures of trousers you wear with a flannel cloth as a jacket. May be limiting.
dark flannels tend to collect and show lint and dust more than other cloths. Lots of options with similar surface texture for jackets that wear and look better Than flannel.
the plaids above are definitely suitings.

WhereNext

Reaction score
I have a few tweed sportcoats I like, but I like my flannel ones better (I'm not dieworkwear's friend, but I also happen to think I look great in them), largely because, similar to the Summer of George, I enjoy being ensconced in flannel. This includes blissfully ignoring the guidelines people who know more than me about sartorial matters like @dieworkwear and @Despos have mentioned about not wearing flannel trousers with a flannel odd jacket. I'm clearly a clothing renegade who lives life on the edge.
Also, I really like Fox flannels, but there are plenty of other good makers out there that would be cheaper without sacrificing much. I do think Fox makes some of the best melanges out there, particularly their browns and shades of blue, but I have some VBC flannel stuff that is quite nice and significantly less expensive.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent broadcast by Bespoke tailor Tom Mahon. It is inspired by a question I asked him in regards to selecting a cloth for a durable “workhorse” suit. It’s always interesting to hear the perspective from tailors and cutters about their favorite cloth to work with as well the ones in which they can attest to their durability/longevity.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
Looking for a winter jacketing cloth in black and white oversized glen plaid. Prefer without any windowpanes or other colours running through it. Any suggestions?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a winter jacketing cloth in black and white oversized glen plaid. Prefer without any windowpanes or other colours running through it. Any suggestions?

Harrison's Moonbeam or Fox Tweed.

W.Bill Shetland if you fancy something more rustic.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anything of interest being made on the London Lounge?

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
Hi
I would appreciate your advise and thoughts on trousers cloth type and color to match with this Jacket cloth.
Thanks!

1618912448821.png

Marshak

Reaction score
Is there anything of interest being made on the London Lounge?

Never understood the hype around the LL fabrics and their added value, besides the elite/private club marketing.

P-S.: I say that because I've never managed to activate my account :)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never understood the hype around the LL fabrics and their added value, besides the elite/private club marketing.

P-S.: I say that because I've never managed to activate my account :)

I've yet to pull the trigger on any so far, but watching from the sidelines it seems like a relatively collaborative approach.

sometimes people will post a desire to recreate a cloth from an Apparel Arts picture and it will gain traction and get made, sometimes Michael will post a couple ideas/options and the crowd chimes in and they get incorporated into a run. From that angle I think it is pretty interesting and there aren't any other places where laymen and enthusiasts have that level of input

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads