• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

yanagi

Reaction score
Thanks. So for a more standard 3 Season (Spring/Summer/Early Fall) Sport Coat, you'd pick 510244?

I have a DB blazer in 510244. It's a very conservative dark navy that you cannot go wrong with.

510244.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact fabric number I choose, but I like the cloth. The only criticism I have of it is that the weave attracts dust. You have to give it a few more brushings.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think the confusion I'm having is that I've seen product shots for the NMWA in 510243, and the S&M in 510244, and they look very similar to me, so I'm trying to work out if the 243 picture is too dark or the 244 picture is too light.

510243 NMWA:
1617993569888.png

510244 S&M:
1617993595955.png

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 510243 in the picture from NMWA looks way darker than what it is in real life.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 510243 in the picture from NMWA looks way darker than what it is in real life.
Agree 243 is much lighter IRL. I have 510243 and regret not getting 510244. I think 243 really only works as a spring/summer blazer and is somewhat difficult to pair with grey trousers. It does look great with cream or tan though.

That said if you already have a straight dark navy blazer, 243 is a good supplement.

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
I have a swatch of the Lovat Bard in mid-grey (its really between mid-grey and charcoal) and love it, at 13oz with an open weave I feel like its comparable to Finmeresco or Ascot. Its a serious contender for my next suit...
Where one can find Lovat Bard book online ?

artyom.le.gall

Reaction score
I don’t believe it is, I called their office to get some swatches. I’ll see if I can dig them up a little later in the day and take a picture of them, it’s just mid grey, charcoal, and a dark navy
Many thanks! I dropped them a note. So far to no avail...:-(

mactire

Reaction score
I appreciate your answers regarding my question about the faded linen.
I read through the conversation about different coloured linens and are going to search for an alternative 11oz linen in blue from a reliable brand and ask them directly about their dying process.
Here is a better photo, the marked area has the original blue, the faded parts are from some weeks of wear only.
I expect the linen to keep its colour at least three years, do you know an alternative cloth that is medium heavy, a little rough and summer ready?

View attachment 1587425

If you want to minimise the level of fading what you can do is to soak the cloth before making up, this removes excess dye and will reduce contrast/fading when worn in over time.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know if the H. Lesser 313 8/9oz book has any hopsack fabrics?

Last edited:

Chrjs

Reaction score
There are no longer any commercial linen spinning mills in Ireland, this sector shut down 20 years ago. Commercial flax production shut down in Ireland in the 1960's. Flax farming, processing and linen yarn spinning is done in France, Belgium or Italy, and so yarn dying may be done there also. There are nine remaining commercial linen weavers and finishers in Ireland; some finishers will piece-dye and finish linen fabric for other weavers on contract. English merchants' technical teams are no doubt on top of all the details of who does what and where and how to their fabrics, but I doubt their sales staff have this in-depth knowledge.

You might like to watch this short video on piece dying at Baird McNutt (sister company of John Hanna); I have found the John Hanna suitings keep their colour pretty well, although darker colours will inevitably fade more noticeably than light coloured fabrics over time.
I appreciate your knowledgeable contribution. Baird McNutt clothes seem very affordable but don't have the thickness (around 11oz) that I want for this jacket. I might use cloth of them later for other pieces.

If you want to minimise the level of fading what you can do is to soak the cloth before making up, this removes excess dye and will reduce contrast/fading when worn in over time.
Ah, I remember that tip now from some years ago, when I learned about clothes. As long as it's subtle, I don't mind a little fading. And I expect it to be subtle when I buy it from a well known producer.
My current favourite linens are from Harrisons W. Bill and Mersolair collection and I will give them a call soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics