• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I swear the English “drape cut” is really growing on me. The functionality and practicality have always intrigued me(ie: range of motion and comfort). Now I’m beginning to appreciate the extremely elegant aesthetic symmetry that it showcases. I’m very interested to see how the cut looks on my body type. I’m about a little over 6” with a muscular athletic build, broad shoulders, and large chest (46/47 with 34 inch waist).

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EGbjJY4W4AAhmpM.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you guys get your matching suit trousers cut the same way as your odd trousers? For example, would you get a pair of odd flannel or fresco trousers cut the same way as typical charcoal sharkskin suit trouser?
Occasionally, I like the idea of having a bit snugger ankles on odd trousers. That is a bit more casual, and might not fit your idea of a 2 or 3-pc suit.
Otherwise, if I ask for odd trousers from a guy who normally does my suits, I don't usually ask for anything different. Maybe more likely to have belt loops, but not in a different way than a suit with the same specs.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your answers regarding my question about the faded linen.
I read through the conversation about different coloured linens and are going to search for an alternative 11oz linen in blue from a reliable brand and ask them directly about their dying process.
Here is a better photo, the marked area has the original blue, the faded parts are from some weeks of wear only.
I expect the linen to keep its colour at least three years, do you know an alternative cloth that is medium heavy, a little rough and summer ready?

View attachment 1587425

I've used linen (both Irish and Italian linens) extensively and even laundered them in the washing machine without such fading. Yes there will be some fading over time but it should not be patchy like yours. See if your tailor would replace it with linen say W. Bill, Minnis, Duddale, Solbiati, Caccioppoli etc.

Chrjs

Reaction score
I've used linen (both Irish and Italian linens) extensively and even laundered them in the washing machine without such fading. Yes there will be some fading over time but it should not be patchy like yours. See if your tailor would replace it with linen say W. Bill, Minnis, Duddale, Solbiati, Caccioppoli etc.
That's great to hear, due to Brexit it has to be a UK manufacturer, I am looking for nice linens here and ask the producers directly about their dying process and how long theg expect the colour to last.

tender_t

Reaction score
Hi, I think this is my first posting here. I have a question. I love this cloth here:

It seems to be an old cloth The armory ordered some time ago. But: Does anybody know if anything similar is available anywhere? It's a brown tweed that has lots of colors in it.

Thanks.

Simon A

Reaction score
That's great to hear, due to Brexit it has to be a UK manufacturer, I am looking for nice linens here and ask the producers directly about their dying process and how long theg expect the colour to last.

There are no longer any commercial linen spinning mills in Ireland, this sector shut down 20 years ago. Commercial flax production shut down in Ireland in the 1960's. Flax farming, processing and linen yarn spinning is done in France, Belgium or Italy, and so yarn dying may be done there also. There are nine remaining commercial linen weavers and finishers in Ireland; some finishers will piece-dye and finish linen fabric for other weavers on contract. English merchants' technical teams are no doubt on top of all the details of who does what and where and how to their fabrics, but I doubt their sales staff have this in-depth knowledge.

You might like to watch this short video on piece dying at Baird McNutt (sister company of John Hanna); I have found the John Hanna suitings keep their colour pretty well, although darker colours will inevitably fade more noticeably than light coloured fabrics over time.

Last edited:

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Linen's subtle fading over time is part of the appeal IMO sorta like the wrinkling. Here's an analogy for you: Linen is the Riesling of cloths. Perennially misunderstood and underappreciated but for those in the know, the most noble of all varieties.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, I think this is my first posting here. I have a question. I love this cloth here:

It seems to be an old cloth The armory ordered some time ago. But: Does anybody know if anything similar is available anywhere? It's a brown tweed that has lots of colors in it.

Thanks.

Bateman and Ogden have something similar in the Glenhunt tweeds: https://www.batemanogden.co.uk/Product/873

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads