• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any flannels that are less prone to stretching/loosening over time? I've got a few, but they seem to have stretched.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are there any flannels that are less prone to stretching/loosening over time? I've got a few, but they seem to have stretched.
Drapers, Lady Sanfelice book.
Worsted flannel from Ariston. They don't have the appearance of classic flannel but wear well and don't stretch.
I reduce the crotch and seat when I cut flannel to anticipate the stretching that occurs. Fits snug for an hour and normal after it stretches.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drapers, Lady Sanfelice book.
Worsted flannel from Ariston. They don't have the appearance of classic flannel but wear well and don't stretch.
I reduce the crotch and seat when I cut flannel to anticipate the stretching that occurs. Fits snug for an hour and normal after it stretches.

Thank you! I've also considered getting the trousers cut approx. 1 size smaller to experiment with the effect as well. Though I'd be nice to try some other flannels to feel the difference too.

paborden

Reaction score
Have favorites from each line and books I don’t like or use in each line. Keep a broad selection because one cloth is right for a certain client or specific application. When i find a favorite I keep using it because I understand the cloth, how it tailors, wears and holds up. As I learn what clients like, I can prescribe the cloth they will like knowing the character of the cloth.

Would love to see a list some time of the favorites!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you! I've also considered getting the trousers cut approx. 1 size smaller to experiment with the effect as well. Though I'd be nice to try some other flannels to feel the difference too.
Reducing the size 1” isn’t the same as reducing at the points the trouser stretches. You will get a different result.

ZRH1

Reaction score
Good evening,

how much would this 51% wool + 49% linen blend in navy suffer from discolouring like 100% linen?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who knows? Probably will acquire a nice, old-money patina.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good evening,

how much would this 51% wool + 49% linen blend in navy suffer from discolouring like 100% linen?

I don't think so. Probably it will only discolour 51% more than pure linen.

ZRH1

Reaction score
thanks, I wanted to go for a dark navy linen suit, but was advised against it on the grounds that linen threads are coloured after being knitted (?) and thus over time can lose colour and worn out parts like shoulder pads or the neck can become lighter in colour. Apparently that can happen even after only two seasons of lighter wear. For this reason I went with tobacco, but I am still intrigued by this Fox blend.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks, I wanted to go for a dark navy linen suit, but was advised against it on the grounds that linen threads are coloured after being knitted (?) and thus over time can lose colour and worn out parts like shoulder pads or the neck can become lighter in colour. Apparently that can happen even after only two seasons of lighter wear. For this reason I went with tobacco, but I am still intrigued by this Fox blend.
Probably try light navy. I have one and it hasnt discolored yet. Or better yet get on the silk bandwagon like me!

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream silk db funded...same blend as the dieworkwear summer tweed
signal-2021-03-12-145927.jpg

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cream silk db funded...same blend as the dieworkwear summer tweed View attachment 1572619

Same blend, but different color? looks quite a bit lighter than the examples from a couple of years ago

I've been hoping for a re-run of that fabric one of these days, I love this suit @UrbanComposition had made up a couple of years ago

urban comp dww summer tweed.jpg

BernieL

Reaction score
Hello,

Can anyone help source these two fabrics for sport coats?

1. Loro Piana deadstock WSL brown over check
2. Caccioppoli 300108 WSL cream over check (heard this cream just sold out)

Thank you!

Attachments

• 5A09C9DB-3C01-458F-9BFD-8704903B6624.png
    5A09C9DB-3C01-458F-9BFD-8704903B6624.png
    838.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 12D1A789-3252-4B41-8FAF-83D16601B7BA.png
    12D1A789-3252-4B41-8FAF-83D16601B7BA.png
    1 MB · Views: 44
  • 9CDE361E-6559-4DD2-A06D-9C3703C6FE77.png
    9CDE361E-6559-4DD2-A06D-9C3703C6FE77.png
    658.8 KB · Views: 53

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics