• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a classic navy peacoat made and can get Loro Piana storm system cashmere. I will probably wear the peacoat once/weekly at the most. How is the fabric? Any recommendations? Price will not be an issue. I want a substantial peacoat for Minnesota winters.

Here is the fabric in question:

LP cloth not worth it. Not sure if this is the same as storm proof but storm proof substantially changes the hand/drape of the cloth. Don't care for the result.
If you want lux and warmer, heavier weight look at topcoat books

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a classic navy peacoat made and can get Loro Piana storm system cashmere. I will probably wear the peacoat once/weekly at the most. How is the fabric? Any recommendations? Price will not be an issue. I want a substantial peacoat for Minnesota winters.

I would look at these. Won't be luxurious though.

https://www.moons.co.uk/product/navy-6/ (Melton)
https://www.moons.co.uk/product/navy-5/ (Hunting Pink)
https://www.moons.co.uk/product/blue-7/ (Duffel)

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Traditional pea coats are made of 32oz fabric.

I know that Holland and Sherry have some over coating in the 27oz range and I think Fox Bros has some ‘heritage military’ fabric in the 30oz range

I would start there...

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some cloths these days have nano coating to shed light rain. Some dry cleaners also offer such service. For overcoats, that’s a nice feature.

I would avoid any chemical coatings. Wool is an amazing material that will generally absorb about 30% of its weight in water before it starts feeling wet. Putting a chemical on it will have other deleterious effects on the performance of the fabric, and for little purpose. If its really raining, wear a rain coat, or bring an umbrella.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would avoid any chemical coatings. Wool is an amazing material that will generally absorb about 30% of its weight in water before it starts feeling wet. Putting a chemical on it will have other deleterious effects on the performance of the fabric, and for little purpose. If its really raining, wear a rain coat, or bring an umbrella.
@bdavro23
Good advice bro!

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Thank you for the advice gentlemen.

dukeaw

Reaction score
I'm my eternal search for cloth online, I've done some digging and not sure what I've uncovered. I figured the experts here at UFL would help explain the difference.
(if any of you remember, this is all in my quest to work with a factory in Asia... my fused machine made trial suit with fabric of unknown provenance comes this week)

Basically, I've looked up several well known merchants, and found several merchants/mills I'm not familiar with. Of the known ones there seems to be a very wide price difference for similar fabrics. For example, the Holland and Sherry Target is over twice the price of the Dugdale Merchant Fleece from my sources. On paper they seem to be equivalent. Is there a reason for this I'm not seeing by not having fabrics in front of me?

In addition, I've found that some other sources of English fabric sell suiting fabric for almost 1/2 to 1/3 the price of Dugdale for certain fabrics. These are all woven in Huddersfield. For example, Huddersfield Fine Fabrics, or Harrisons Burleys, or Ulster Weavers.

Is this increased price simply a product of middlemen pumping up price, or merchants upcharging for the prestige of their name? Or is there a distinct difference between multiple english cloth's woven at s120 at 290 grams, or Irish linens, or tweeds? Are all these cloths at different prices coming from the same mills, or is there a difference?

Take me to school please!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are different tiers of quality in the raw wool, weaving, dying, finishing. There are different tiers of mills. Therefore prices vary.
If you want to bring a cloth to life at a certain price point you do what you can at the price you need to make it work.
Over simplified answer

dukeaw

Reaction score
There are different tiers of quality in the raw wool, weaving, dying, finishing. There different tiers of mills. Therefore prices vary.
That makes sense.

If I stick with reputable sources such as Dugdale, Harrisons, and Holland and Sherry, is there much of a difference between those merchants despite their price difference?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That makes sense.

If I stick with reputable sources such as Dugdale, Harrisons, and Holland and Sherry, is there much of a difference between those merchants despite their price difference?
There is to me. There is variation between all those mills and within the same company. One maker may have several qualities within their range of goods to serve different markets and price points. That’s why a brand may have cloth at 100.00 per yard and another at 800.00 per yard.
Like Mercedes has a C range and they make the Maybach.
I work with the cloth; sewing, making, pressing. I judge the cloth differently than you would.

dukeaw

Reaction score
There is to me. I work with the cloth; sewing, making, pressing. I judge the cloth differently than you would.
I'll be considerate to the tailor I'm working with.

Since you are considered the local expert, do you have an opinion on which merchants fabrics you prefer to work with for everyday suiting? Or is it more book by book, or another metric I'm not aware of?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have favorites from each line and books I don’t like or use in each line. Keep a broad selection because one cloth is right for a certain client or specific application. When i find a favorite I keep using it because I understand the cloth, how it tailors, wears and holds up. As I learn what clients like, I can prescribe the cloth they will like knowing the character of the cloth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads