• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, modelled on this one. It grew on me. View attachment 1562997
Definitely a sartorial conversation starter. That particular button configuration isn’t my preference. However, it is not incorrect nor is it in bad taste.
01DEBAB8-677A-43CD-B2CB-18BB54D2E0F4.jpeg

Last edited:

mockingboy

Reaction score
Has anyone had anything made up from the Loro Piana Traveler Book; specifically looking at the 260 gram Wool and Silk with 1% lycra as a summer/travel suit?

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Yes. Ulster does a large herringbone linen at 450 480 g weight. I have one in navy which works for summer and it rumbles in a way which does not look out of place in winter
There was a member here who cut, trimmed, and made his own suit in a 600g upholstery linen. Forest/hunter green. Wore it in the colder months and looked good. I recently had one made up myself. Works fairly well, although if you're getting a solid, I think you want a grayer tone of the color than you might for summer linens. To my eye, saturated colors--even dark greens or browns--look a little odd on linen in the winter, whereas I think they look great on flannel or tweed or corduroy. Something about linen's stiffness, maybe. Mottling/two-tones like on a herringbone are fine.

I do 600g pants in upholstery linen all the time, summer or winter.

Last edited:

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my search for a autumn/winter navy birdseye suit I’ve narrowed down my options to either Standeven Escorial 11oz or Dugdale Royal Classic Vantage 12oz

It would be worn in temps from about 6-16 Celsius

The Escorial is almost twice the price but it comes highly recommended and apparently has more character than the Dugdale. My own concern is whether it would make up too ‘soft’ for a business suit. I believe it’s the same as this suit from The Armoury.

Any advice? Hard when I don’t have access to the swatches.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my search for a autumn/winter navy birdseye suit I’ve narrowed down my options to either Standeven Escorial 11oz or Dugdale Royal Classic Vantage 12oz

It would be worn in temps from about 6-16 Celsius

The Escorial is almost twice the price but it comes highly recommended and apparently has more character than the Dugdale. My own concern is whether it would make up too ‘soft’ for a business suit. I believe it’s the same as this suit from The Armoury.

Any advice? Hard when I don’t have access to the swatches.

I'm pretty sure I have the Dugdale book downstairs. Is there something in particular that you are looking for from the cloth or specific questions you have?

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have the Dugdale book downstairs. Is there something in particular that you are looking for from the cloth or specific questions you have?
That’s very kind of you but I don’t really have any specific questions about the Dugdale swatch itself, I’m more curious about how it makes up, and comparisons to the Escorial.

sebastian mcfox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harrison’s Premier Cru is my go to. Very wrinkle resistant, good colors. The charcoal birds eye is a particular favorite
Unfortunately my tailor informs me that Harrisons attracts a sizeable markup due to regional distribution deals or some such (apparently Premier Cru would be 2x the price of Escorial).

Is there anything outside of Harrisons you would recommend?

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately my tailor informs me that Harrisons attracts a sizeable markup due to regional distribution deals or some such (apparently Premier Cru would be 2x the price of Escorial).

Is there anything outside of Harrisons you would recommend?

Where are you located? The same distributor handles both for me here in the US...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ooh. I don't have a lot of direct knowledge about fabric there, but the prices Ascot Chang charges for their better cottons are insane. CMT makes a ton of difference.

konstantis

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend me some books of non worsted fabrics at the at the weight area of 10-11 oz ? One that i am thinking is Fox Somerset , evethought a bit heavier . Anything else ? Thanks.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a classic navy peacoat made and can get Loro Piana storm system cashmere. I will probably wear the peacoat once/weekly at the most. How is the fabric? Any recommendations? Price will not be an issue. I want a substantial peacoat for Minnesota winters.

Here is the fabric in question:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to have a classic navy peacoat made and can get Loro Piana storm system cashmere. I will probably wear the peacoat once/weekly at the most. How is the fabric? Any recommendations? Price will not be an issue. I want a substantial peacoat for Minnesota winters.

Here is the fabric in question:

325 gsm is far too light for a peacoat. Also 100% cashmere is too soft. It won’t look right as a peacoat, and I doubt the collar would stand up well. Look for something at least 650-700 gsm, at most 10% cashmere if you want some softness. The wool melton used for my vintage peacoat is apparently 32 oz and quite stiff.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics