• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question is-- three all-season garments, or some that shade to light or heavy?

Best way to split the difference with at least one of these is the original 10oz Fresco. Porous enough for all but the worst warm weather, but substantial (or coarse) enough to drape well. The chalk stripes look like flannel, and there are some good, useful greys and RAF blues.

If you're aiming for dressy use, the 10oz high-twist Finmeresco is quite unlike the rest of that book. Very smooth and elegant, and not a floppy as the original 4-ply under that name. Deceptively cool in hot weather.

Then something for the coolest weather when you don't need to be worried about warm rooms. Actually, a dry worsted will do surprisingly well until the end of spring, so a 13oz Lesser could work. Wears like iron, and will look fine in even the frostiest days, especially if you already have an overcoat. Oyster is a bit less urbane, but also very useful, if maybe less cool-wearing. 11oz Lesser used to be a standard, and could hang in there adequately in that role, but seems to have got soggier post-buyout. Still, there are other, similar books. Harrisons Fine Classics is one.

For sport jackets, you have the same range of choices. P&H Glorious 12th is a good baseline for all but the hottest or coldest days. A 10-oz serge DB blazer would cover useful ground. Then you need to decide if you'd rather have a meaningful tweed or an open-weave linen.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been intrigued by the possibility of a heavy linen that could be worn in the winter. I agree that chocolate brown would probably be the prefect color for this but I have always been unsure of the practicality. Have you ever worn linen this heavy? Does it work in winter?
Yes. Ulster does a large herringbone linen at 450 480 g weight. I have one in navy which works for summer and it rumbles in a way which does not look out of place in winter

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question for this fun crew: you can only have 3 suits and 3 sport coats for a four season geographic....what fabrics do you choose and why?

I absolutely love posts and questions of the sort. Obviously, there will be a multitude of different answers and analysis regarding the topic. However, within this variety, it gives us a chance to each learn from and share our philosophies, values, and approach to dressing. Although I would love to answer this question, I feel as though I am not qualified to do so. Mainly because I have very little “personal experience“ with many of the fabrics that I wish to include in my list. With that being said, I am pleased to hear answers from others who are more qualified and experienced.

Last edited:

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for this fun crew: you can only have 3 suits and 3 sport coats for a four season geographic....what fabrics do you choose and why?

Firstly, six garments is plenty for a regular fella but not when you are of the type that would pose the question on SF. I'd double that to twelve to be more realistic. Assuming you have seasons to deal with...

Navy open weave suit
Grey tropical worsted suit
Navy winter hopsack suit
Grey winter twill suit

Summer navy blazer
Winter navy blazer
Summer mohair blend jacket
Winter cashmere blend jacket

Tan linen jacket
Olive linen jacket
Grey tweed jacket
Brown tweed jacket

Simon A

Reaction score

LL Brisa dinner suit, DB shawl collar
LL Brisa light grey suit, SB, 3 pairs of trousers
Gorina heavy flannel suit (460g), DB mid-grey, 3 pairs of trousers

LL Brisa navy blazer, 8 x 3, gold buttons
Molloy and Sons Donegal Tweed teba, 3 button, single vent
Baird McNutt Dark Tan linen jacket, (270g), single breasted

You always need a dinner suit.
The Brisa trousers can be worn with the blazer, or even the linen jacket, and are a pretty robust 3-season option.
The mid-grey flannel can also be worn with the blazer and the teba in winter. I use my teba as a travel garment in cool weather as it has plenty of external pockets for boarding passes and it handles being rolled up or slept in better than a conventional sports jacket. It also gets used for riding and hunting.

Effectively ten outfits.

samtalkstyle

Reaction score

The Brisa trousers can be worn with the blazer, or even the linen jacket, and are a pretty robust 3-season option.
The mid-grey flannel can also be worn with the blazer and the teba in winter. I use my teba as a travel garment in cool weather as it has plenty of external pockets for boarding passes and it handles being rolled up or slept in better than a conventional sports jacket. It also gets used for riding and hunting.

Effectively ten outfits.

That Baird dark tan colour is exceptional.
I've just had a suit made up in it.

Rafael Tompoulis

Reaction score
Hi guys! I need your precious help in identifying the type of Wool fabric the following Brioni Sportsjacket is made of. I believe, from my humble knowledge and from what I've seen, that it is maybe a Fresco ? Please help me differentiate in my mind Hopsack and Fresco and how they both look. Thanks a lot in advance!

Attachments

• 20210225_152031.jpg
    20210225_152031.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210225_152145.jpg
    20210225_152145.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20210225_152656.jpg
    20210225_152656.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 71

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Effectively ten outfits.
8x3 blazer though?

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Well, this is not an unknown configuration of a DB (mostly navy) blazer; its military reference is very clear which can be supported by HRH as he has served as a royal navy officer.

Still, it requires a certain body-type...

Best,

Dimitris

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the goal is a true 4 season wardrobe, you shouldn't aim for more than 1/3 of the pieces to be in "all season" weight cloth because the weather will be either hot or cold 2/3 of the time. Even in more temperate climates, I think its a mistake to go too middle of the road with regards to seasonality in cloths. One of the most appealing aspects of bespoke (although I realize the OP did not specify he is going that rout), is the ability to use specialty cloths which were designed for maximum seasonal functionality whereas ready to wear brands cannot really do this because of marketing and other business considerations.

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the goal is a true 4 season wardrobe, you shouldn't aim for more than 1/3 of the pieces to be in "all season" weight cloth because simply put, the weather will be either hot or cold 2/3 of the time. Even in more temperate climates, I think its a mistake to go too middle of the road with regards to seasonality in cloths. One of the most appealing aspects of bespoke (although I realize the OP did not specify he is going that rout), is the ability to use specialty cloths which were designed for maximum seasonal functionality whereas ready to wear brands cannot really do this because of marketing and other business considerations.
Hence my focus on mohairs and silks because australia and preference. With overcoats for the dead of winter

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a gun to my head as a customer facing tech guy in Boston, I would get the suits in summer weights because:

Oz wears suits
Japan wears suits, and Tokyo's climate is more like DC than NYC/BOS
You don't really need suits in the US.

I'd be way more confident in being able to compensate with an overcoat in winter than I would be trying to wear some 12+oz thing in the summer

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads